Thursday 11 August 2022

A bonus day!

I managed to get today off work and stayed at home doing some jobs while Keith went shopping. Our amber weather warning starts today, with temperatures set to be in the low 30s, so not quite as hot as last time, but still uncomfortable.

We had planned on going to Majestic today to buy a sparkling wine called Chandon from Chile as we'd enjoyed this on our 25th wedding anniversary, but I had second thoughts while I was showering. Was it worth driving all the way to the other side of Northampton just to buy a wine that wasn't like the bottle we had in Florida (it was flavoured with oranges and spices), or should we just settle for the Aldi Champagne that's perfectly acceptable? With the current price of fuel, I can see us making more decisions like these in the future!

I drove over to wish my Dad a happy birthday, staying with my parents for over an hour. Unfortunately, all the clothes I bought for him yesterday didn't fit! They were too small! It means Sophie and I will have to return tomorrow to exchange them for a larger size. While I was there, the carers came around with ice creams and frozen lollies to keep everyone cool. Outside the temperature was building!

Back home, it was too hot to do a lot, so I succumbed and had a nap on our bed. I had been up at 6am with Sophie this morning and felt a bit sleepy! With the fan on me, I did feel a bit cooler!

Tonight was wine night as Sophie is also off work tomorrow so we sipped glasses of our New Zealand Pinot Gris and I persuaded my daughter to watch Brief Encounter with me. It was like a glimpse into another world... how different things were then (it was released in 1945) and Sophie enjoyed the film, even though she wasn't that keen on Trevor Howard's character, for some reason!

After dinner, Keith and I sat in the garden for an hour and saw the bats for the first time this year. They were swooping low over us and it was lovely to see them again. It was blissfully quiet sitting in the garden, and beautifully cool!

No comments: