Saturday 13 February 2021

Valentine's goodies!

Day 40

I made banana porridge for breakfast again today, but the fruit was just a bit too raw for my liking! The other day the bananas had ripened a lot and were lovely and sweet, but today they were a bit harder, so next time I'll wait! The dish was lovely, though, but I am very funny with bananas - I can eat them cooked or turned into yoghurt or - delicious! - Angel Delight or milkshakes, but I can't eat them straight out of their skins!

It's been another raw day with the wind cold enough to cut you into two! We pottered about in the morning and then Sophie and I went to Boots for some essential supplies, followed by a visit to Smith's Farm Shop. We bought some goodies, including a bottle of Prosecco for tonight, as well as some bread flour for me to make another loaf next week.

Before we left, we enjoyed a hot chocolate from the coffee stall in the car park and watched the comings and goings of the customers. It's a busy place and lovely to stock up on a whole variety of food and drinks.

Back home, we had toasties for lunch sitting in the conservatory. The previously sunny weather had given way to thick cloud, and with the low temperatures, I thought we could have seen some snow. In fact, the weather forecast said we might get a heavy downfall later in the day, but we never saw any at all.

Towards the evening, we popped over to the Care Home to take a bottle of whisky for my Dad. I had ordered some Valentine's flowers for my Mum from Dad, to cheer her up a bit, and they had been delivered earlier in the day, and I had also bought some whisky as a gift from Mum. Sophie had been the ecstatic recipient of her own beautiful bouquet, chocolates and a balloon this morning!

We stopped outside their window and called them in vain. I think the phone was being charged so in the end, we had to drive home, taking the scenic route for a change. There was no marvellous sunset tonight, just thick cloud, which was a shame.

Our usual Saturday evening followed: Martinis, Scrabble and a Youtube video on the television showing snowy scenes. If we couldn't have them for real, we could pretend!

We ordered a takeaway from the Chinese in Broughton again tonight, but ordered it very early, just in case! The food arrived at 6.30pm, so we put the tubs into the oven to keep warm while we finished our game. Unfortunately, when we opened the Prosecco to enjoy with our meal, I suspected it was corked. It smelt a bit musty (like an old cellar) so I put a stopper in the bottle and said I would return it for another. At £10 I couldn't just pour it down the sink, and it was definitely not right!

Our evening viewing was the fourth Jason Bourne film, even though he wasn't actually in it! Keith and I enjoyed The Bourne Legacy, but Sophie went upstairs to watch Love Island instead. Each to their own!

No comments: