Tuesday 16 February 2021

New purchases!

Day 43

Both Mike and I have ordered new phones and, predictably, they both arrived at about 10am this morning. Sophie promised to help me set mine up when she got home from work, so I left it well alone!

Having the phones delivered early meant that Keith and I could go out and do the things we wanted to do yesterday. We went to Smith's Farm Shop first to take back the Prosecco that I thought was corked. I spoke to a lady on the till who asked me to repeat what I said when I mentioned the fault. I explained that the wine smelt musty, like an old damp cellar, so she disappeared behind a door, presumably to check with someone more senior! I was all ready to explain that I'd worked in wine, but when she came out she was more than happy to exchange the faulty wine for a fresh bottle. Success!

Keith and I then drove to Jones's as we needed cooker hood bulbs, and I wanted to get some more bird food. I ended up buying a new frying pan, as the ones we have are useless. This time I will take charge of cleaning it so the non-stick surface stays intact! Along with some treats for the children and new reading glasses for Keith, I spent just under £50, more than I had wanted, but everything I bought (except maybe the chocolates!) was essential. Jones's had a large display for Easter and Mother's Day, and I did wonder what kind of situation we'd be in by then in terms of lockdown?

Our last stop today was B&Q to get some draught excluder tape. We hadn't been successful with the bulbs in Jones's and they didn't have any in B&Q either, so we wandered around aimlessly, up and down aisles filled with boring cable ties, screws and drill bits, looking for the tape. In the end, we had to ask someone and we found it in a completely different area of B&Q that was devoted to building supplies! Not an area we normally hang out in!

After a long wait for the checkouts, I called Sophie to ask if she wanted a coffee because it was almost her lunch hour. She was delighted, so we called into the Costa outlet on Brackmills, where I queued for ages again! We drove to her office, had a quick chat and then finally headed home.

We decided to put off applying the draught excluder tape until tomorrow as it was almost time to pick up Mike from work. Just before we left we had a torrential downpour of rain and the sky went very dark. We picked up our son who couldn't wait to get his mitts on his new phone! His old phone, which he's had for nearly three years, was really battered and bruised!

Sophie arrived home in another torrential downpour, and the first thing she did was go and see Monty, who promptly ignored her! I think he was punishing her for leaving him all day, and he resolutely refused to have anything to do with her, the funny thing!

Sophie and I cracked open the bottle of Prosecco, and I was disappointed to find that it still tasted musty. To make it more palatable, I added a shot of my Blood Orange Gin, and that made it a lot better!
Before dinner, Sophie helped me with my phone and added all the apps I'd deleted before. I was very pleased, and she was so impressed she's going to order one for herself as her contract ends in March. This will mean that Mike, Sophie and I will all have the same phone!



No comments: