Monday 8 February 2021

Having a smashing time!

Day 35

I had a sense of deja vu this morning when we awoke to a light covering of snow, and had to take Mike to work before going to Tesco. I had offered to go with Keith and we set off at 8am, but today the roads were much better than they were two weeks ago. The main roads were clear, although a little icy going out towards Mawsley, so I took it carefully.

We dropped Mike off and headed to Aldi, and when we arrived, Keith realised that he had forgotten his wallet and his glasses, so it was a good job that I was with him! Aldi was very quiet, thank goodness, and we did our shopping with ease. There was one problem, though... as I reached to get a bottle of red from the shelf, I somehow dislodged another and it went crashing to the floor, smashing into several pieces, with red wine everywhere... I felt so embarrassed! The staff were very good, though, and told me not to worry, but I scuttled off in shame! I still don't know how it happened!

From Aldi, we went to an equally quiet Tesco and bought the remainder of our shopping. Back home I spent almost an hour in the kitchen descaling my coffee machine so I could give a desperate Sophie her morning shot of caffeine. I was desperate for one as well!

We have had snow flurries all day, and it's been bitterly cold again. Sophie and I walked around to get the newspaper, and the wind coming off the fields was freezing. This wind is coming directly from Russia, so that's why it's so cold! Brrr!

In the afternoon I sorted out the kitchen cupboards as every time we put something in them, the rest of the contents threaten to fall out. I emptied them, threw away anything that was out of date and arranged them all neatly. They won't stay like that for long, but at least I was pleased with the result!

The highlight of my day now is going to get Mike from work. He got into the car and stank of lighter fluid/petrol and woodsmoke. They had all been cutting down trees on the golf course, and then they'd had a huge bonfire. He casually told us he nearly caught fire himself, as he was carrying the can of petrol when the wind blew the flames in his direction. Great... just what I needed to know!





No comments: