Saturday 20 February 2021

Eye matters

Day 47

Sophie went to meet Zain this morning at Pitsford reservoir, and I was chuffed that he'd driven all the way from Essex to see her! Ahhh!

I mooched about at home, not looking forward to an eye test I had booked this afternoon. I'd already been contacted by someone from the branch to check I wasn't displaying any Covid symptoms, and I was reassured by the website, which said they were taking lots of precautions.

Sophie arrived back home at about 1.30pm and wanted to come to the Weston Favell Centre with me. We drove over at 2.30pm and quickly discovered that all the benches had been removed from the shopping centre so my poor daughter had to go back to the car and sit there while I had my eye test.

It went very well, and my eyes are lovely and healthy, which is always a relief. I had a battery of tests, including photographs, a test where I had to spot little white dots on a screen, as well as the normal sight tests, dye placed in my eyes, and also my contact lens check, which she squeezed in at the end. It was all very well controlled, with lots of cleaning, and the staff wore visors, masks and disposable aprons. I dread to think how much plastic they are getting through, though.

I was in there for about an hour and felt mightily pleased that that was over for another year (or two). I returned to the car and we drove home in the late afternoon sunshine. It has been very mild today with a warm breeze that brought the promise of Spring with it. I could smell it in the air and it was delicious. Sophie was planning on having a chat with Laura and Daisy at 5pm as their BA flights to Italy were cancelled by Tui today, but we managed to enjoy a cocktail and a game of Scrabble until then!

While Sophie was chatting I caught up with an old episode of Grand Designs, and then we resumed our game with a glass of red wine, while Keith cooked dinner, which tonight was beef steaks in a delicious gravy served with home-made chips, onion rings, mushrooms, carrots and sweetcorn (we ran out of peas).

Our after-dinner viewing was the fifth Jason Bourne film so we are going to have to think up a new series of films to watch on a Saturday night!


No comments: