Tuesday 21 January 2020

Rat tales...

I arrived home today to find Keith dressed all in black, standing in the kitchen next to our air rifle... Feeling slightly alarmed I asked what he'd been up to. As it turned out he'd been trying to dispatch the rat by various methods:

1. Smoking it out by bunging a couple of incense sticks down the hole (which promptly went out).

2. Drowning it by inserting the hosepipe into the hole and letting it fill for at least 20 minutes, which amazed even him, as he couldn't believe the lair was that big.

3. Shooting at it, but then realising as it got near that the safety catch was on.

All of this in addition to putting down some poison. And it has still managed to evade him!

His next idea is to put a trap down at night after our feathered friends have gone to bed and Monty is safely in the house (we keep him in at night now). We'll see what happens!

I spent the afternoon catching up with some important jobs - we booked a table at a pub in Greenwich for Sunday lunch and found a parking space on Just Park which is about a mile away. I also looked at my Mum and Dad's car insurance as they have been quoted nearly £1000 which is ridiculous. I was going to go out and clean the car but I ran out of time and it clouded over anyway. Most of today has been beautiful again but we have fog and cloud forecast for tomorrow.

In the evening Keith suggested a meal out and told Sophie we could go to The Lamplighter for dinner. I wasn't so keen as the beer never lives up to Keith's expectations, the menu is limited and parking is difficult. I also didn't fancy driving into town when we have a perfectly good pub on our doorstep, so I suggested The Royal Oak. Sophie was not best pleased when she got home and discovered that a) I had changed the pub in Greenwich from The Gipsy Moth to The Admiral Hardy as the former pub wanted a £50 deposit, and b) I refused to go to The Lamplighter for the above reasons.

She flounced off upstairs while I booked a table for 7pm, but I have to say it was the right decision. When we arrived the pub was blissfully quiet and Keith's Abbot looked very good and tasted great as well! We chose fish and chips (need I say for Keith), a burger and pork belly with mash and veg for me and we had a lovely, very relaxed meal. The pub chose a stream of Elvis songs to listen to which was great and we had delicious puds as a treat - treacle tart, apple crumble and bread and butter pudding, all served with custard. They were huge portions so Sophie and I didn't finish ours! I think we had definitely made the right decision - the pub is like a home from home for us as we have been going there for so long!

No comments: