Monday 27 January 2020

Daylight robbery!

Keith drove me to work this morning and I had a busy and noisy shift. Three of us were manning the phones and at times, with all three of us on a call, the noise was overwhelming. One of my colleagues had a coughing fit just before the shift ended and it caused pandemonium, with another member of staff going out to help and getting first aid treatment! I just stayed in the background and answered the phones!

Mike had a docs appointment at 2pm so I walked over to the Weston Favell Centre and queued in the bank to pay a cheque into his account. I also bought a lovely birthday cake in Tesco and went down to Costa to wait for them, having asked that Mike text me when they were five minutes away. Just as my coffee was being prepared they arrived so I was not amused! However, Keith said that Mike wanted something to eat so they disappeared up to Tesco while I enjoyed my coffee in peace! As we were walking back to the car Keith took out a letter that had arrived at home this morning - a Penalty Charge Notice to say we had somehow strayed into the Ultra Low Emission Zone in London on the 16 January while we were taking Mike to Abbie's flat in Greenwich. I was furious but there was nothing we could do about it, unfortunately. The fine was £80 and I hadn't even realised that we had gone anywhere near the zone!

We had arranged to go over and see Mum and Dad so they could wish Mike a happy birthday and we all arrived at the same time. We sat and had a chat over the delicious gooey chocolate cake and a cup of tea and then it was time to return home and pay the dratted fine online.

Michelle sent me a text asking if she could come over and she brought two bottles of wine and a thank you card for when we fed the cats. Richard has had to have major heart surgery and he came out of hospital a few days ago, so she was very grateful we'd kept the cats fed while she was visiting him.

We had a very lovely chat over a cup of tea and then it was time for Sophie to return but no alcohol was served this evening. We are giving our livers a rest!

No comments: