Saturday 11 January 2020

A spot of January cleaning!

I was up at a nice reasonable time of 7.30am this morning and it was great to slowly wake up with a cup of coffee and the cat curled up next to me.

Sophie was having breakfast with her friends Laura and Daisy first thing and the plan was for them to book a holiday to Italy later in the year. What a lovely thing to do on a blustery cold January day! Unfortunately, Keith and I had an appointment with the conservatory roof which was badly in need of a good clean!

Last week I had noticed spots of mould appearing on the glass and also on the white flashing and roof struts. Armed with a bucket of hot soapy water and loads of cloths, Keith and I wobbled our way around the room on step-ladders and gave it a really good clean. The outside will have to wait until the weather improves and is also badly in need of some TLC. It hasn't been too bad today with bouts of sunshine and the odd hint of blue sky, but the lawn is sodden and adding to it with water from the roof would be madness.

While we were working away we noticed the dead ivy that Keith had cut down last year so he decided to try and get it all down, but it clings like a limpet to the brickwork. He brought down some, but will wait until the weather's better before tackling it again! Because he was out on the step-ladders, I went out with him and I noticed loads of leaves all over the gravel garden so I started to gather them all up. Keith then asked if I was finished inside (which I wasn't) so he made me go back indoors! We have so much to do at the moment and we really need a spell of fine, dry weather but I don't think it's going to happen! Next week is due to be windy and unsettled with yet more rain on the way.

After we'd finished the conservatory roof I mopped the floor and then went outside to dead-head the summer bedding plants that are still clinging on to life. I've been meaning to do it for ages and it looked so much better when I'd finished. The geraniums are still looking healthy and I've positioned them by the wall so they are protected a bit from frost, not that we've had much so far this winter!

When Sophie arrived home I was in the shower and she told me that she and Daisy and Laura have booked to go to Sorrento in July so that will be something to look forward to! We decided to pop down to Riverside as I was badly in need fo bird food and a new mop!

As usual, the shopping area was busy but we parked quite easily and went and had a coffee in Costa. I hadn't eaten since a breakfast of crumpets so I had a sandwich while Sophie had a vegetarian breakfast bowl. The place was heaving with people and the noise level was tremendous!

We paid a quick visit to Next to look at pictures but nothing took my fancy so we popped into Wilco's where I bought fat snax, peanuts, a new feeder and some other bits and bobs. The shop was very busy indeed and there was a great long queue at the checkouts!

It was bliss to get home and relax for a while! I had a nap and was asleep for about 40 minutes and I suspect Sophie was also napping on her bed upstairs. It had been a busy day!

No comments: