Tuesday 24 December 2019

Feeling festive

Sophie went to the gym this morning and I woke up to see her off, as per usual. She is working until 12.30pm today but I think they're having an office party so it won't be all hard work!

Christmas Eve dawned sunny and clear and remained that way all day, so at least that was some relief! I did some last minute wrapping and I hoovered downstairs and tidied up ready for tomorrow.

Sophie was home by 1pm and we all drove to The Royal Oak for a festive lunch. The pub was busy and there was a large crowd enjoying drinks in the main lounge. Our table was tucked around a corner so it was lovely and quiet. We studied the menu and Sophie, Mike and I went for the midday special (two courses) while Keith went for the extra large cod served with chips. Mike and I had starters of whitebait and Brixworth pate and then we had a fairly long wait for our main courses, which wasn't a problem as we had nowhere to go and lots of time to sit and enjoy the build-up to Christmas.




Keith's fish was the largest I had ever seen and he said it was delicious and cooked to perfection. Sophie enjoyed a mushroom risotto, Mike had steak and ale pie and I wolfed down a burger which was just what I'd fancied.

We were almost the last to leave at about 3.30pm and already the light was fading from the sky. Back home we all collapsed on the sofa or in an armchair (or a bed in Mike's case as he'd been out to see a band last night and was shattered).

I woke up from a nap at about 5.30pm to find the Carols from King's College, Cambridge on the TV. We'd never really seen it before but it was lovely to sit and listen to the beautiful music and the readings. It certainly felt like Christmas, especially as I had all the little tea-lights lit and the tree was twinkling! Gorgeous!

Keith and I answered as many questions as we could during University Challenge (and we knew quite a few!) and then we settled down to watch Elf and enjoyed a light supper of mini pork pies, cheese and biscuits and savoury eggs. After Elf we enjoyed the Not Going Out Christmas special (a bit silly but I liked it!) and a Vicar of Dibley episode.

It's been a lovely Christmas Eve and the big day is tomorrow!


No comments: