Tuesday 17 December 2019

A very long day...

Sophie woke me up just  before 4.30am this morning and both Keith and I took her to Thrapston where her manager lives. The weather was truly horrible - we had thick fog on the way to the A43 and it was drizzly and dark. Not at all pleasant! I had planned on going straight back to bed but I was wide awake and worrying about her impending car insurance quote, so I stayed up and went onto one of the comparison sites.

Because she had a minor prang back in July her policy price has risen, and she was quoted just over £900 for a renewal with her current insurance company. I looked at Compare the Market and I was able to get it for just over £600 but it meant she had to have an app on her phone to monitor her driving, which she was not happy about!

Keith suggested that as we were both up we go shopping in Milton Keynes earlier than planned. I agreed so we had showers and were out of the house just after 8am. The weather had got worse, if that was possible, and it was misty, grey and damp. The very worst that winter could throw at us.

Although we left in the rush hour, we made Milton Keynes by about 9.30am and I dropped some recycling off at the Terracycle man's house. He had loads waiting to be sent off! Once we'd parked (on the top floor of the multi-storey where we were spoilt for choice) we had breakfast in M&S and then hit the shops, or rather I did while Keith sat outside on the seats with the newspaper!

I bought a present in House of Fraser which had a sale on as they were, sadly, closing down. Next up we went to John Lewis where I wandered around trying to find a gift for Keith but managed to get something in Next instead. The usual Christmas display was on in the area outside John Lewis but it looked exactly the same as last year!

The boots I was wearing weren't the most comfortable so after walking back to M&S we called it a day and returned to the car. I'd bought several gifts and had had ideas for a few more so hopefully, within the next few days I will be all done!

On the way home we called Mike who was at home and asked him if he wanted to go to Kettering to get his hair cut. He agreed so we popped home, picked him up and drove to Tesco. I bought some nibbles and a bottle of Cava for tomorrow night when Sophie and I go and see Michelle for a festive wine night.

Back home I tried to have a nap, but failed and then Sophie texted me to say they were leaving Stockton-on-Tees. It took them three hours to get home and Keith and I went to get her at about 6pm. Again, it was foggy and horrible and on the country roads on the way back I could hardly see a thing the mist was so thick. I was mightily glad to get home!

Keith made a start on dinner immediately while I sorted out Sophie's car insurance. I'd looked at another comparison market and they wanted just under £700 with no box having to be fitted or app on her phone. Sophie called her current insurance company and they brought the price down so it was almost the same so she has stayed with them, which I'm very relieved about!

Dinner was delicious and it was lovely to relax afterwards and do very little. An early night beckoned!


No comments: