Friday 4 October 2019

The hunt for "wine"...

This morning dawned a little milder and for once Sophie didn't go to the gym as she has managed to hurt her foot, which means that going on the treadmill is a definite no-no.

It was strange having her around in the house and I left before her, for a change! Work was OK but I had lots of strange phone calls and quite a few where it was very difficult to understand the caller. It happens occasionally but we get there in the end!

At 2pm I popped over to Lidl to get some alcohol-free wine as Keith and I (and Sophie at home) are not drinking for October. I'm even going to extend it to November as well as I think my liver needs a rest. Is this why I feel a bit unwell? Alcohol withdrawal! We certainly enjoy a drink in this household so I think it's a good idea to have a rest and it was great doing it last November!

Lidl did two German wines that were acceptable but of course they didn't have any in the shop. Typical! I drove home and Keith suggested we go to the larger branch in Northampton, near to B&Q. Sophie and I have a lovely Spanish sparkling wine to drink tonight (Freixenet non-alcohol) but we wanted something to drink over the weekend. I even suggested to Sophie that she look up mocktails for us to make. It just brings it home to me that it's not the alcohol itself I need, but the "idea" of a special drink! The one bottle I WON'T be buying is that awful, horrendously expensive Seedlip drink which I think is a con.

We found the non-alcohol wine in Lidl so I bought two bottles as well as lemons and raspberries to go into a mocktail - Sophie had said we could use the red and make a Sangria.

Heading home the traffic was terrible - "Jane, what did you do with the extra hours you now have, because you don't have to collect Mike from work?"

Me - "I sit in horrendous rush hour traffic instead, all so I that can buy some fake wine." Hmmm!

Going out and getting the wine almost resulted in a bad accident...travelling towards Holcot, an absolute idiot in a white Mercedes overtook the car behind us and then us as well and just about managed to get in before he hit a line of oncoming cars. I wish so much that I'd got his number plate or had the footage on a dash cam as he could have caused a really bad accident. I was forced to brake hard so he could squeeze in. I speeded up to try and see what his number plate was but he tore off and overtook another car. What an absolute idiot, with no thought for anyone else on the road.

As Keith is not drinking he didn't go to the pub tonight so he was an honorary member of the Girls' Wine Night club. He had to go and sit on the computer, though, while Sophie and I watched Shirley Valentine, one of my all time favourite films. I love how sad it actually is, but funny too.

Sophie cooked a vegetable curry tonight and very good it was, too!





No comments: