Sunday 20 October 2019

Pumpkins!

Sophie decided to miss her gym session today to let her foot rest so we had a relaxed start to the day. We needed to get the Sunday newspaper, though, and I wanted to wash my car as we had a little window of dry weather today!

We also needed to get dinner for tonight and although we'd talked about making a Thai chicken soup, we decided on Paella, an old family favourite. I really didn't want to go to Tesco so before getting the car washed we went to the Co-op in Moulton which had everything we needed including a chorizo ring! OK, it's a bit more expensive but it was worth it not to have to trek over to Kettering or Weston Favell!

I put the car through the car wash and then went home to finish it off. Sophie prepped all the veggies for tonight as she was going to put in some leftover peppers, courgettes, broccoli and cauliflower.

During the week Sophie had been fantasising about a cake she once had at the Garden Barn in Cotesbach, so we'd made plans to take Mum there today. We picked her up at 1.30pm and drove over via the A14. The car park was busy and we made a beeline for the cafe as Sophie and I were a bit hungry and we were interested to see if they had the Guinness Chocolate cake that Sophie had been salivating over!

Ordering at the counter was a bit confusing and the seating areas seemed to be all over the place, but we found a table upstairs near to a window and parked Mum there while we went back downstairs to order. Sophie and I decided to share a ham and cheese toastie to start as we hadn't had any lunch and then we'd go back and choose some cake. We ordered three teas and a slab of chocolate cake for my mum and went back upstairs with a numbered spoon - how the staff ever find anyone is beyond me!

Unfortunately, there were lots of flies about and the staff obviously knew there were as there was a filthy fly swat lying nearby. We certainly used it! The Garden Barn is a lovely little place though, and full of quirky objects for sale. I would describe it as "shabby chic" and there were lots of things that caught my eye, including some Christmas decorations.

We waited a while for our food and then the sandwich turned up, looking like someone had run over it with a steam roller. I couldn't make out any cheese in it and asked the young girl serving it if it was our order! It came accompanied with tons of rocket (which Sophie hates) and slices of tomatoes which wasn't how it was described on the menu. Also, there were two thick carrot sticks, a pot of hummus and some pistachio nuts...bizarre!


Shortly afterwards, the pots of tea arrived as well as Mum's cake and we munched away happily. After we'd eaten Sophie went back downstairs to order two slices of cake - a vegan carrot cake for her and Victorian sponge for me. By now the tea was cold and as a fly had been crawling around in my cup I decided to abandon it!

We waited over half an hour for the cake and in the end Sophie went back downstairs to find out where it was, only to be told they'd lost the order! We were not amused!

By the time we'd eaten the cake, the time was getting on and they close at 4pm so we had a quick look around and I bought a Halloween door ornament as well as a terracotta pumpkin. We weren't going to do Halloween this year, but I can't resist!





We left in the drizzly rain and mist, which wasn't pleasant! My newly washed car was getting wet! Rather than re-trace our journey we drove home via Walcote and South Kilworth, a route that Keith and I used to take before the A14 was built. It was great to travel this road again and I pointed out various things that Keith and I used to look out for, including a house in South Kilworth that was called Montebello...rather than buy a small plaque with the name on, the words were plastered across the front of the house!

We dropped Mum off and returned home to relax for a while before Sophie made a delicious Paella for dinner. I can't believe that it's Sunday night already...work again tomorrow!

No comments: