Sunday 27 October 2019

A day at home

The horrible wet and nasty weather moved away overnight and we awoke to blue skies and sunshine. Sophie was meeting her friend Laura today for lunch and had booked a table at The Four Pears in Little Houghton.

I spent the day catching up with housework and I gave the hallway floor and skirting boards a good clean. Some of the white paintwork on the banisters needs touching up - a job for next Wednesday I think!

Keith fitted two doorstops for me - one on the kitchen door where we have already managed to punch a hole into the wall, and one in the bathroom to protect the tiles. I gave the bathroom a good clean and applied some of the grey bathroom paint on the walls to see what it looked like.

Mum and Dad popped around in the afternoon and had a look at our new room before enjoying a cup of tea and some biscuits. I am starting to feel a lot happier with how the house looks now, but the kitchen is up for decorating next, followed by our bedroom and then finally the study. Hopefully, by the Spring it will all be done!

After Mum and Dad had gone I finished the cleaning and then had a lovely bath. Sophie texted me to say she was at a pub in Olney and I started to get a bit worried as the clocks had gone back last night and it would be dark for her journey home. The road to Olney is quite dark and she had never driven it before so I asked her to be careful!

Keith cooked roast beef for just the two of us this evening which felt a bit strange! While he was doing the cooking I watched David Attenborough's latest programme - Seven Worlds, One Planet - with the first episode about life in Antarctica. To say it was brutal was a massive understatement and I'm just glad Sophie wasn't around to watch it. We learnt that Albatross parents don't recognise their young if they fall out of the nest and I watched as a little chick struggled to get back in with the completely indifferent parent looking on...it was horrible!

Sophie arrived home at about 7.30pm as we were clearing up so it was a very quiet evening! She'd had a great time with Laura and had ended up coming home on the Newport Pagnell road which I always find a bit spooky due to the dark Salcey Forest along the route!

No comments: