Wednesday 30 October 2019

Encounter with an Alien...

I was up early with Sophie and waved her off to the gym before having a lovely coffee and catching up with some jobs on the computer (paying car tax).

Keith was still feeling rough when he got up so I said I would decorate the bathroom on my own today. He insisted on coming upstairs with me but there was so much heavy breathing going on, it was like having Darth Vader in the bathroom with me! I told him to go downstairs and rest!

I turned the radio on (unfortunately Ken Bruce was away) and spent the best part of the day painting the walls and ceiling. I took my time and although I hate doing the ceiling, it all looked great when I'd finished. I just have to do the strip along the top of the wall and gloss the door and it's all done!

Just as I was finishing, Mike phoned to ask us to pick him up as he'd been at Abbie's house to stay the night. She is going back to university today and Mike won't be returning with her. We dashed off to get him and as soon as I arrived back home I had a shower as Sophie and I are out tonight to see Alien at the Northampton Filmhouse.

We left at just after 6pm and drove to the car park by Derngate to find it almost full! I managed to back into a space (driving Sophie's car helped!) and we walked to Buddies for a pre-film meal. I hadn't been to the original Buddies for years and Sophie had never been so it was a great experience. Buddies opened in 1981 and I remember going when I was a child. I wrote a letter saying how great it was and they put it up on the wall! I don't think it's still there but there were a lot of letters from children so the tradition lives on!

We shared starters of mozzarella sticks and breaded chicken before our mains of their classic beefburger and Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. The food was delicious as always and we were stuffed when we were finished!

We walked back to Derngate and had a drink in John Franklin's. Sophie had a Dark and Stormy cocktail while I made do with a bottle of sparkling water. Tomorrow I will have got through a month without alcohol and I'm planning on going a little further into November!

We settled into our seats for the film and we both enjoyed it immensely, even though it was gory and bloody at times. It's amazing to think it was made in 1979 and the actors all looked so young!

No comments: