Saturday 25 August 2018

Sunshine and showers

I was up at 5am again this morning and taking Mike to work shortly afterwards. Not a great thing to do on a Saturday morning! However, as soon as I got home I went back to bed and slept soundly until 8am.

Mike called me to go and pick him up and I took Sophie with me. On the way home we stopped at the Co-op in Brixworth to get the newspapers and a chilled coffee for Sophie. It was a beautiful morning and I hoped the weather was going to stay nice for the beer festival this afternoon.

We had a late breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast and baked beans and Sophie and I got ready to go out. Keith was having a day with his leg up to see if he could sort it out once and for all. He had cancelled his trip to see Sileby play so it must have been bad for him to do that! Mike went into town to buy some clothes and once Sophie and I were ready we waited outside for Sue and Paul. Unfortunately, Michelle didn't come with us as she said it was too cold to sit outside (we'd had a shower of rain but the sun had come out again) and Paul had to take his Dad home from hospital, so it was only us and Sue and Richard who walked up to the pub.

We found a picnic bench in the garden and I said hello to the parents of two boys I used to look after at the school. They were running around and having the time of their lives! Sophie and I chose a half pint each of two different beers - mine was called Rhythm Stick and it was dark and quite sweet, whereas Sophie's tasted of cats' pee, she said! Not a great start!

We sat and chatted and Richard's friends arrived and sat with us. There was a man singing (a bit too loudly) and the atmosphere was great. Luckily, the sun was shining but in the distance we could see some dark clouds gathering and before long we had another shower! I was just glad we'd brought our big umbrella!

Some more friends of Richard's arrived and then Mike came along and bought me a drink. He showed me his new shoes and told me he'd bought some jeans, tops and underpants (Calvin Klein ones!). Michelle also changed her mind and came along so it was great to sit and chat.

We had something to eat and Mike drifted backwards and forwards seeing his friends who were sitting outside the pub. We had another shower of rain and by now I was starting to feel a little cold. We lasted out until about 6pm and decided to leave. Sue had already gone home to feed her dogs so, leaving Mike with his girlies, we walked home. It was now the best part of the day!

As soon as I was home I jumped into a hot bath and got warm! Keith came up and sat and chatted to me as he'd been on his own all afternoon, poor thing! I just felt so sorry that he hadn't been to the football.

Keith cooked dinner tonight and we enjoyed chicken en croute. We ate quite late so by the time we'd finished and cleared away it was almost 9pm. We watched the penultimate episode of Sharp Objects and then it was an early night. I have another 5am start tomorrow!

No comments: