Wednesday 22 August 2018

Season of mists...

Keith came with me to take Mike to work this morning as, although he doesn't feel up to driving yet, he wanted to accompany me. It was a gorgeous morning and the sun had just risen when we headed back home:



There was a mist hanging over the fields and it was like receiving a little gift for the pain of getting up early!

As Keith's leg is no better we made an appointment to see the doctor this morning again. We were amused to find out we were seeing Dr Kennedy - Karl, from Neighbours? I wish!

Sophie was working today so we said goodbye to her and went to the surgery. When we saw the doctor (unfortunately not Karl Kennedy) he was very thorough and wanted Keith to go to the DVT clinic in case he had a blood clot in his leg. This was rather alarming and thankfully he managed to get an appointment for today, at 1pm.

We headed home and I called Gill as I was supposed to be meeting her for coffee at 10.30am. As it was now nearly 10am and I hadn't even had a shower, I felt I had to postpone as I would be constantly looking at the time and worrying about going back to get Keith. As we had a lot to catch up on I wanted to have a leisurely chat with her. She was very understanding and we had a talk on the phone before I went upstairs to get ready.

Just as I finished dressing I heard a knock on the front door and there was a woman standing there who I didn't recognise. My first thought was that it was our new neighbour as she looked about sixty and had grey hair. Then, with an enormous shock, I realised it was my old friend, Lesley, who had emigrated to New Zealand back in 2005! She hadn't given us any warning she was coming and I didn't even know she was in the country! The last time I saw her she had auburn hair!

We had a huge hug and I made her a cup of tea before we all sat and chatted for two hours. It was amazing to catch up with her and find out what she'd been doing. Her daughters had moved out and Stephanie, who is exactly the same age as Sophie, is getting married in February. How I wish we could go to the wedding! I sat there and couldn't quite believe that she was sitting on the sofa next to me! I still really miss her and we used to have some great chats over glasses of wine when our daughters were all at school together.

We had to say goodbye at 12pm as Keith and I had to drive into Northampton and go to the hospital. It had been a fantastic surprise and I really don't know when I'll see her again.

We parked easily in the hospital car park and made our way to the DVT clinic which was within the Oncology department, so quite difficult to find. I do not want to go back to that area of the hospital again! Keith had some blood taken, saw a nurse who asked him lots of questions and then went in for an ultra-sound scan of his leg. Immediately the radiographer told us he didn't have a clot, but that he might be asked back again next week depending on his blood test results.

We sped off to get Mike and arrived a minute before he finished at 2.30pm! Great timing! Back home I had some lunch, as I was starving, and then I went and posted a couple of DVDs out to an ebay buyer. We now have over $300 so that's great! That money will buy our trips and some treats!

I returned home and had a nap as I was now feeling rather tired! Dinner in the evening was beefburgers and Sophie and I cooked them in the oven with some sauteed potatoes and chicken that Keith wanted. It was then a slump in front of the TV and an early night!

No comments: