Saturday 11 August 2018

A barbecue in the rain.










 I had booked an appointment at Virgin this morning to have an eyebrow shape, so Keith and I dropped Sophie off at work and headed down to Riverside. It only took ten minutes for my eyebrows to be restored to neatness and when I was all done we drove to the Weston Favell Centre. Today was my Dad's birthday and I needed to get a present for him! I've never left it so late!

Mum had said he would enjoy a bottle of whisky for his Birthday so I chose a bottle of Penderyn and a couple of the latest paperback thrillers I know he would like. As Sophie hadn't been able to get anything for him on Thursday when she was called into work, I bought a bottle of Rioja from both the children, and a card.

We headed home where I wrapped the gifts and then drove over to Mum's for a cup of coffee and a slice of cake. They both looked a lot better today and we had a great chat, arranging to meet tomorrow for afternoon tea at Beckworth with the children.

Back home I had some lunch and then mowed the lawn and tidied the garden, neatening up the borders and turning over the soil which was much more pliable now we'd had some rain. I wanted to sit out this evening as we were barbecuing and light the log I'd bought. I had visions of us sitting the evening sunshine, but the skies clouded over and it became increasingly chilly! Typical!

Keith went off to see Sileby play in the afternoon and I fell asleep on the sofa, waking up at 4pm and deciding to go and check on Mike who had come home at 6am this morning. He was still asleep, but woke up when I opened his door!

I went to collect Sophie from work in the evening and was dismayed to see spots of rain on the windscreen! How ironic that we'd had all the beautiful weather and now we have a barbecue, the weather has changed!

When we got home I was determined to sit out and I lit the log. However, the rain which had started out as a drizzle grew harder and we had to retreat to the driveway under the roof!


We had to move the cars and set up the barbecue there so at least we were dry!


Our little log!

Not really what we had in mind!

I'd put some potatoes and roasted veggies in the oven and it didn't take long for Keith to cook the burgers, sausages and lamb steaks.


It was another delicious barbecue but what a shame about the weather!

No comments: