Tuesday 31 July 2018

Pottering about...

A clap of thunder woke me this morning and I could hear the steady sound of heavy rainfall. I tried to go back to sleep but I gave up at about 7am and went downstairs. It was still raining but after a while the skies cleared and the sun came out.

We all had a lazyish morning and then went down to Riverside to visit Boots and JD Sports where Keith bought Mike two new pairs of shorts. Sophie tried on some cycling shorts but later found out that they were men's swim shorts! They still looked good on her, though!

We called into Aldi to get some water but they had run out of the big packs of mineral water that we all drink, especially in this hot weather. I know we should really have tap water but I don't like the taste at all. We managed to get some loose bottles out of the chiller so we'll have to make do with them until we go shopping. After the unsettled weather we've had over the last few days it's set to be warm and sunny again, particularly at the weekend.

Our last stop was at Jones's where I bought two garden chairs and a log to burn at the weekend. I feel we haven't really sat out that much this summer, both because it's been very hot, but also because the garden has looked such a mess.

As it was now near the time to collect Mike from work, we decided to call in for a quick drink at The Windhover pub and we sat outside in the garden area, which was very pleasant indeed. Up above we enjoyed a "Florida" sky and when the sun came out it was very warm.

We had to wait a while for Mike to appear as he'd been taking down a marquee and when we arrived home I pottered about in the garden and did some overdue jobs. The Camellia that Mum had bought me needed repotting and I also put our orchid into a larger pot with some special compost I'd bought. Sophie and I also moved the pots on the smaller gravel garden about and tidied up all the shells and pebbles we'd found at the various beaches we've visited over the years. I was very pleased when we'd finished.

In the evening we all went to The Lamplighter for a meal. Keith and Mike enjoyed a beer that smelled very much like cats' pee to me! We chose nachos and garlic bread to start followed by the usual burgers and fish and chips to follow. We certainly didn't have room for dessert! It was then home to relax on the sofa with an old episode of Luther!

No comments: