Sunday 22 July 2018

Four go shopping...

This morning all of us made the trip to Rushden Lakes to look for a decent pair of trousers for Mike to wear to Sophie's Graduation ceremony on Tuesday.

We had to have some refreshments first, though, so we headed to M&S where we enjoyed coffees and sausage baps. I have to say the baps were absolutely delicious and the best I've had for ages! M&S food is very good!

Once re-fuelled, we popped into JD Sports as Mike had given his only pair of shorts to a homeless man on Friday night when he went into town with his mates. He wasn't allowed into a nightclub with shorts on so swapped them for a dodgy pair of trousers worn by a homeless busker! It could only happen to my son! Keith bought him two pairs of shorts, and a tee-shirt for Sophie, and then we headed to River Island where Mike tried on a pair of super skinny fit trousers that looked ridiculous on him! When is the fashion for ever tighter trousers going to end? As Mike has muscly legs, he looked like a twin pack of sausages! I predict a huge drop in fertility rates in a few years' time if all the young men persist in wearing skin-tight jeans and trousers!

Eventually we settled on a pair of electric blue slim fit trousers but they were a little long. We walked over to Next but their choice was dire, and House of Fraser (very expensive) so it was back to River Island. Mike said the waist was a little tight so I went over to the cash desk and asked if I could order them in a slightly larger waist, and a shorter leg to be delivered at home the next day. The girl serving was very sweet but I'm not sure she knew what she was doing and when the order went through it only came to £30, yet the trousers were £40 without the delivery charge on top... I had visions of the wrong trousers arriving on Monday and no chance to get another pair!

I was assured there was an online discount applied and Sophie gave me a River Island voucher for £10 so that was a bargain! I just hope they arrive now! We mooched around in Boots so Sophie could get some beauty aids and then it was time to go as by now the whole area was getting really busy.

The weather had turned cloudy and sultry and before we returned home we called in to see Mum and Dad and sat out in the garden. Keith and Mike helped them with their new hoover and we relieved them of an upright fan they no longer wanted. They must be mad to give away a perfectly good fan in this heatwave!

We went home and I helped Sophie with her self-tanning treatment before Keith and I popped back over to Tesco to buy some cod for tonight, as Sophie and I were making fish burgers. I asked the fishmonger the best cut to buy and he recommended loin of cod, which set us back an astonishing £14 for four pieces! Keith made a face and muttered some more about all these fancy recipes costing a fortune!

The afternoon was spent trying to escape the heat and failing. It's forecast to get hotter on Tuesday and Wednesday and could even go over 30c again. Phew! I watered all our plants and gave them a liquid feed so hopefully that will keep them healthy!

The fish burgers tonight were a success but next time I think we'll take the plunge and shallow fry them as we baked them in the oven and the spicy flour dusting went a little soggy!

No comments: