Tuesday 1 May 2018

Not the best of days...

I woke up this morning feeling fab! I'd had a really good sleep (helped by not having a drink last night?), the sun was shining and I was off until 2.30pm! I decided to start a notebook with all the jobs that needed doing in the house and give myself a year to complete them. Some jobs, like re-carpeting, might take longer, but simple decorating and re-painting could be done quite quickly. I felt full of enthusiasm! It's amazing what a good night's sleep and some sun can do!

Sophie had an appointment at the doctor's surgery to get the results of her blood tests which were all fine so that was great news. Her Vitamin D levels were perfect! From Brixworth we went to Riverside and enjoyed a cup of coffee in the Costa in Next. I felt really relaxed and happy!

We popped into Boots and then Poundland as I wanted to get some plastic cups for school. They have seen sense at last and have stopped providing disposable cups for the water fountains which is great news. It means we can't rely on them as we did in the past for our after-school children. I didn't see anything in Poundland so we went to Wilco's where I managed to get eight cups for £2. I also bought some grass seed for the lawn and the front verge. Sophie looked at paint but we ended up buying it in Homebase. She was slightly shocked at the price - £28 for a large tin! I bought a tub of white gloss paint and a scraper to help with getting the wallpaper off her wall.

As the time was getting on we headed home and I helped Keith with the new blind for Mike's room. We managed to cut it and hang it and it looked great. Phew! That's one job I wasn't looking forward to sorted out! Hopefully, this will cut down on the amount of light that gets into his room in the early mornings.

We had just settled down to watch five minutes of Homes Under the Hammer from this morning, when the phone rang. I tried to answer it but it stopped. Sophie called Mike to see if it was him but he hadn't called. I went to do ring back and it rang again. It was Mum to say that my Dad had fallen at the flying field and that two of his mates had brought him home.

Sophie and I drove over to their house to find my poor Dad on the sofa with a leg that looked very much like it was broken. There was a a huge swelling on his thigh and his leg didn't look right at all. It looked like someone had taken off his leg and then re-attached it at an odd angle...

Mum was on the phone to the NHS 111 helpline service who took all the details and said they would send an ambulance. There was no way on earth we could get him into the car and take him to A&E. My good mood evaporated at once as I could see weeks and weeks of him being in hospital and then recovering...

My Dad was very pale and trembling and looked like he was in shock. We tried to make him as comfortable as we could and I asked why on earth his "mates" had brought him home? They'd said to Mum he hadn't broken it (!) and that he'd just pulled a muscle! He must have been in complete agony when they moved him and they had to bring a chair out to the car to get him into the house.

We waited three hours for the ambulance to arrive and had to call again. I phoned Lisa to say I wouldn't be able to go to work this afternoon and she was very understanding. At one point, when I moved the rug underneath his foot slightly, we thought he was going to pass out.

When the ambulance people arrived, the woman took one look at his leg and called for a paramedic as she wasn't going to try and move him. She hadn't realised he was as bad as he was which was why we'd had to wait so long. He was given gas and air while they waited and when the paramedic arrived he gave my Dad morphine so they could move him onto a stretcher.

I was absolutely furious with the two men that had brought him home. Why hadn't they just called an ambulance at the field? Who knows what damage they might have done by moving him.

Once he was in the ambulance, they cut off his trousers and saw that he had broken his femur half way down the bone. Mum went to the hospital with him while Sophie and I went home to prepare dinner. We did contemplate getting fish and chips, but we decided in the end to go with the macaroni cheese which was the sensible option.

Mum called me at about 8pm to say she could go home and that my Dad would be having an operation tomorrow. Sophie and I picked her up from the hospital, amazed by the changes they'd made in the car parks. There is now a rickety-looking multi-storey car park for visitor parking.

We dropped her off and gave her a tub of macaroni cheese for her supper. Poor thing, she hadn't eaten anything since lunchtime!

No comments: