Sunday 6 May 2018

A spot of gardening

Keith and I went to get the Sunday newspapers this morning and on the way home my Mum phoned as she was having difficulty starting their lawnmower. We diverted to her house and Keith showed her how to get it going and made sure she was OK.

We sped home and I made a start on our own garden, mowing the lawn while Keith strimmed the edges. I then tidied up the area behind the garage. Yesterday Keith had put our new compost bin in place and had raked up the soil it stood on so the worms could get a good access to it. I'm hoping it will be successful and that we'll get some lovely compost from all the garden trimmings, the grass cuttings and our kitchen scraps.

I emptied out all the old pots we had stored there and Keith cut up a load of wood that we were going to use in the chimenea but now can't. We're missing a vital piece from it and I suspect we threw it out over the winter!

I did a lot more tidying up and was really pleased with how it looked when I finished. I even put some grass seed down to cover up the bare patches we have! We now have the umbrella up to give some shade and very soon I'll try and paint the seat to make it look even better!

All four of us had lunch in the conservatory, which doesn't happen very often and then Sophie and I got ready to go and get my Mum to take her to hospital. My Dad was looking paler today and I was a bit worried about him, to be honest. We all just want him home now where he can get a good night's sleep and some proper food!

After we left we returned to Mum's house where we sat in the garden with a cup of tea and a slice of cake. Her garden is looking lovely and she'd made a good job of the lawn, even with the difficulties of her lawnmower which is a petrol model and quite temperamental!

Back home we played cards once again and then Sophie and I made Chicken Parmigiana for dinner. I butterflied the chicken and seasoned it and then we coated it in breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese before baking it in the oven for about twenty minutes. While the chicken was cooking we made the sauce with tomatoes, onions, garlic and red wine and simmered it until it had reduced a bit. This then went into the bottom of a big dish, we placed the part cooked chicken on top and covered the breasts with fresh mozzarella. This then went back into the oven and we cooked spaghetti with another tomatoey sauce to go with it.

We were really pleased with the dish and it was a lot better than last time when we mistakenly added mushrooms which made it all go too soggy. Success!

No comments: