Monday 18 January 2016

Pastures newish...

Today dawned very cold but all the snow had disappeared overnight, which was a shame. I would loved to have seen some more of it and maybe have it hang around a little longer as the countryside looked so beautiful.

The sun came out mid-morning and Keith and I made a trip to the tip with our old carpet. It wasn't the most pleasant of jobs, being heavy and wet from where we'd left it outside since Saturday! The underlay was equally heavy but it was great to get rid of it as it looked horrible lying outside the garage door!

When we returned I had to hoover out the boot of my car which somehow turned into a full-blown wash, inside and out! However it was very pleasant in the sun and Keith and I saw a Red Kite hovering over the estate. I still maintain that the pair nearer to Walgrave have disappeared as this one was more over towards Old, but it was great to see it nonetheless.

Sophie and I had an appointment with the bank in the afternoon so I picked her up from university and before our meeting we went to New Look to buy a pair of boots to go with her new trousers. She is off to New York on Saturday and has to have smart clothes for meetings she will be attending. She is getting very excited now and I just can't believe the time has come around so quickly!

After our busy day, Keith and I went to The Royal Oak in Naseby for a drink in the evening which was a pleasant surprise. The temperature was dropping rapidly on the way over and tonight is supposed to be the coldest of the winter so far.

I wasn't that impressed with the pub, to be honest. Keith and I think we visited a long time ago as we always used to go to The Fitzgerald Arms in Naseby rather than the Royal Oak as the former pub had such a good reputation for food, but we couldn't remember much about it and, of course, pubs change hands very frequently.

There were a lot of locals gathered at the bar with just one man serving but we found a place to sit in a quiet corner and although there was a log fire burning it was almost out. In front of the fireplace there was a heap of what looked like rubbish which didn't give a very good impression! I was disappointed as before we went out I was yearning for an old cosy pub, with a roaring log fire and a nicer smell! What is it about some of these pubs that have a stale, smelly odour?

Anyway, Keith and I had a good chat about pubs and it would be lovely to go on more mooches, like we used to do before the children came along. Now they don't need babysitters we certainly have more time and freedom to go and explore! I ended up enjoying the evening, despite the rather dingy surroundings, and Keith did say the beer was very good, so at least he was pleased!

After a couple of drinks we drove home and I was careful not to go too fast because of the freezing temperatures. Back home we hastily prepared Spaghetti Bolognese for supper and then I had the living room to myself all evening as Keith watched the football upstairs and Sophie was involved in uni work. Bliss!

No comments: