Monday 25 January 2016

A clear out!

I took a deep breath and went into Mike's bedroom this morning in an attempt to have a tidy up. As usual, the scene that met me was one of utter mayhem, with empty bottles strewn all over the floor, his bed unmade, clothes everywhere and chocolate wrappers (minus the goodies inside) scattered over a wide area.

I tackled the wardrobe first and took out all the clothes that he hasn't worn for ages. I then put them all in a pile on my bed for him to sort out when he returned from school later in the day. He had so many old tee-shirts that I had to form two piles!

I then emptied his underwear drawer and found about a million socks that he'd been given and probably never worn either! Keith arrived on the scene and took all the plates, cups and glasses downstairs then came back with a bin bag for the rest of the rubbish. We hoovered, dusted and cleaned and at the end it all looked so much better. Heather is coming to dinner on Wednesday evening so tomorrow I will change his bed so at least the room smells a bit fresher and not so much of teenage boy!

I cleaned the rest of the house and Keith and I sat and watched Alaska: The Last Frontier with lunch and a cup of tea. A bit indulgent, I know, but we felt we'd earned it! We had to drive out and collect Mike from school at 4pm as he had stayed back for a revision class, but after that I didn't have to go out again as Keith was being picked up by his mate John and taken into town for a drink later in the evening.

Mike sorted out his clothes and to his credit he did decide to give a lot away to charity. He also sorted out old school stuff (from his primary days) and some toys he no longer wanted. If I'd known then what I know now I don't think I would have spent so much money on toys and games when they were little as all we seemed to do was give them away after very little use. I wish now we'd saved the money and put it into a savings account for them, as a deposit for a house or towards University fees!

At 6pm Keith, John and Dave went to The Garibaldi pub for a pint and then, apparently, tried three other pubs in Northampton! It meant that dinner was very late (Mike and I ate before Keith) as he didn't get home until about 8.45...dirty stop-out!

Sophie phoned us in the evening via Facebook which I thought was brilliant and she sounded like she was having a fantastic time. She went to Times Square on Sunday night and was heading out to Chinatown after she'd spoken to us. I was so happy for her!

No comments: