Saturday 30 January 2016

Homeward bound

I woke early this morning at 5.30am and the first thing I did was check the status of Sophie's flight. They were heading towards Ireland and the flight was on time so that was great.

Over a cup of coffee, Keith and I watched two episodes of Alaska: The Last Frontier which was a very pleasant start to the day. It was a lot colder this morning with more wind and showers forecast, some of them wintry. We have another storm heading to us on Monday and indeed, when Sophie landed and I asked about her flight she said it was horrible due to the turbulence.

She called me at about 10.15am to say they were in Northampton which was a slight shock as I'd asked her to call me when they were passing Milton Keynes, but she'd fallen asleep. This meant we had a scramble to get out of the house and I had to hassle Mike who wasn't ready, thus putting him in a foul mood.

I'd promised the kids something to eat on the way home (and Mike was off to Heather's) but that resulted in an argument because Mike didn't want to set foot in McDonald's (his hair wasn't right) but Sophie moaned that she'd been cramped up in a plane and a coach for the last ten hours and wanted to sit inside. So, the lovely reunion I'd fondly imagined all went a bit pear-shaped with our grumpy offspring bickering at each other and Keith and I fed up already!

We dropped Mike off at Heather's house and returned home where Sophie promptly disappeared to bed. I loaded her washing into the machine and she came back down to lug her case up to her room. She showed us her goodies from New York which included tee-shirts, hats, jewellery and make-up. Needless to say she'd spent all her dollars!

In the afternoon I made some chocolate chip muffins and Sophie emerged from her room at about 5pm, looking very bleary and saying she was shattered. I knew she'd be like this today and I did feel for her as it's horrible coming home from a holiday and trying to get back into a routine.

Keith and I went to the pub for a quick drink in the evening after ordering a celebratory Chinese from the van in the village. The pub was packed but we managed to bag our seats by the window and had a chat with a couple we've known for a long time. We only stayed for two drinks and went to collect our dinner which was all ready for us. I'd planned on watching a film after dinner but Sophie went to bed so Keith and I caught up with Alaska: The Last Frontier. The day has ended how it began!



No comments: