Sunday 24 January 2016

An early start!

Sophie's flight had been delayed again so we didn't have to be at university for 4am, which was a bonus! She now had to be there for 7.45am but we were all up before 6am anyway. I was still convinced the flight would be delayed again but at 7am we were all ready to go, with a nervous and excited Sophie!

When we got to the university there were a few people about but no coach. Sophie's friend George arrived, and then her friend Hannah so we said our goodbyes and went to buy a newspaper with the intention of returning and parking some distance away to see what would happen. Just before 8am the coach arrived to take them to Heathrow so we drove home feeling very relieved that everything looked to be on schedule.

Today has been grey and damp - I would have loved just a little bit of the snow that New York was getting! I did say I wanted it, didn't I? But here, not there!

Keith and I popped over to Tesco's in Kettering after breakfast as I wanted to buy the ingredients to make Mike a Birthday cake and to get some little treats for his 16th on Tuesday. As we walked around I received a text from Sophie saying she had gone through to the Departures Lounge so that was great news. The supermarket was busy with people so we bought the stuff we needed quickly and headed home.

By now, the weather had brightened a little so I went out to wash Jazzy Jim which was filthy. I've never seen the car so dirty! While washing the car I had a chat with Tom next door who told me that, as I'd already guessed, his wife Emma was pregnant and the baby due in March. I gave him my congratulations and he apologised in advance for any screaming that we'd hear. I told him not to worry and that the baby would probably make a fair amount of noise as well...!

After washing Jim I cleaned my own dirty car but I just know that within a few days (if not hours) it'll be muddy again. We are to be treated to the remnants of the storm that hit the US over the next couple of days with rain and strong winds affecting us. Wonderful!

In the evening we had booked to go to Bella Italia for dinner and we took Heather, Mike's girlfriend, with us. The restaurant was very busy when we arrived with a large group celebrating a 21st Birthday. We were seated and then left for quite a while before a waitress arrived to take our drinks orders. We all chose starters and I opted for the Tempura prawns which were OK, but not the very light and crispy batter I'd been expecting.

I chose my favourite main course, the Pollo Milanese, but was very disappointed with the meal. I chose the roasted new potatoes to go with the breaded chicken but everything was dry and tasteless. The green beans were succulent, though, so I suppose that's something!

Mike and Heather were happy with their pizzas and Keith had chosen a butterflied chicken breast and said it was OK. As usual Michael went for his favourite for dessert - The Godfather Sundae while I enjoyed Panna Cotta.

We left about 9.30pm, took Heather home and got back to our house in time to see Deutschland 83 with a wee dram of whisky!

No comments: