Friday 29 January 2016

Gathering storm

I changed Sophie's bed today and we took her large bedspread to the launderette to have it washed before she comes home tomorrow. It's been ages since I went to the launderette but the man running it remembered me from when we used to take all our work laundry there so that was good!

I treated Keith to a snack at Beckworth and as we arrived too late for breakfast and too early for lunch we each chose a scone with jam and clotted cream. Very naughty, but so very nice! I wanted to buy something for the hostess of the drinks party we are going to on Sunday and as they have asked us not to bring alcohol I went for a posh box of chocolates instead.

On the way home we drove back to the launderette to pick up Sophie's bedspread and then it was home to do a few chores before relaxing in the conservatory. Outside the wind had been getting stronger all day and in the afternoon the heavens opened and we had torrential rain. Mike brought Heather home with him and they were both very wet when they came into the house! We are now experiencing Storm Gertrude but Scotland and the north of England seem to be having it much worse than us.

We had a slight problem when Sophie sent me a photo of a pair of Converse boots she'd bought for Mikey. He loves Converse but normally only wears black so I was a bit surprised to see that Sophie had picked out a pair of red and brown boots. I felt I had to show him (even though they were a Birthday gift) but he was very hesitant about them and said he hadn't really got any clothes to wear with them. I told him that if he didn't like them he must say as I didn't want Sophie to spend $60 on something he would never wear. I went back, told Sophie what he'd said and she went mad, which led to a bit of an argument...in the end she said she would take them back to the shop and would have to get him a gift from the airport instead.

At 6pm I drove Keith to the pub as there was no way he could walk in the horrible weather and then returned to a very quiet house. Were the two lovebirds having a nap?!

We took Heather home at 7pm and then drove to pick up Keith. I was keeping an eye on my phone all the time to see if Sophie's flight was on time and she sent me a message to say she was at the airport, which was a huge relief!




No comments: