Wednesday 16 December 2015

Dining out

Mike went back to school this morning and the traffic was truly horrendous on the way to school as a nearby road is closed, forcing all the vehicles along a street that has cars parked either side...how we managed to avoid a "deadly embrace" I'll never know! It was a relief to get home and have a restorative cup of coffee!

Sophie is off on Wednesdays but she had a lot of work to catch up on so we let her get on with that and Keith and I started packing and sorting out what we're taking to Berlin. We've pre-booked a suitcase to go in the hold as I want to bring back some goodies from the Christmas markets, including some German red wine!

We spent the morning sorting everything out and in the afternoon we popped to Tesco to get a few bits we needed. Back home, after lunch, Sophie and I took Monty for a walk around the estate and hand delivered Christmas cards. I was then going to wash my car by hand but it was getting dark and my car was absolutely filthy so Sophie and I drove to the garage and put it through the carwash. The bonnet was covered in muddy cat footprints which drives me mad!

In the evening Mum and Dad took us out for a meal to The Fox and Hounds in Harlestone as a thank you for helping them with the move. They still haven't got the internet at their rented house so I'm also checking their emails and printing off things for Dad that he needs for his model aeroplane club.

We picked them up at 7.15pm and arrived to find the pub and restaurant very busy. The whole places looked beautiful though, with log fires burning and lots of Christmas decorations everywhere. Keith very kindly offered to drive so I could have a few glasses of wine.

We were seated right next to a log fire despite the mild temperatures outside and had a good look at the menu. All of us skipped starters and went straight into the main course - pork belly with scallops for Mum and Dad, fish and chips for Keith (what else?) and a delicious beefburger for me. Dad and I shared a bottle of Merlot which was fruity and smooth.

As we hadn't had starters we indulged in puds with Keith choosing a treacle tart and Mum and I both opting for the sublime chocolate brownie! Dad treated himself to a liqueur coffee and by now the place had emptied out so the waiting staff were able to have a chat with us when they gave us the bill.

Back home we all stayed up to watch Love Actually in our big bed. A perfect end to a lovely evening!


No comments: