Saturday 19 September 2015

Enrolment!

After a very lazy morning (I didn't wake up until 9.30am) Sophie and I set off for the garden centre where I bought a large pot to replace our wooden barrel that has collapsed. The metal ring around the centre of the barrel rusted away and then fell off so the wooden slats, already rotten, have now started to fall off as well and the whole barrel is in danger of degenerating into a heap of earth and plants!

We found a lovely clay pot and I bought some pansies, using the voucher that I received when I left work. We then popped into the nearby Waitrose to get some more Tassimo coffee before heading to the university so that Sophie could enrol.

The place wasn't as busy as I imagined it would be and we were able to park easily in the large car park in front of the buildings. There were a lot of students arriving with anxious parents and boxes of bedding and luggage. I'm so glad Sophie isn't going into the halls of residence!

We made our way to the building where she had to enrol and I left her with one of the helpers. Parents weren't allowed in with them due to limited space but we were directed to a nearby cafe where we could meet. It didn't take long for Sophie to complete all the paperwork as she'd already pre-enrolled online. She came out feeling a lot less nervous and we had a quick walk around the campus and found the building where she will be based a lot of the time.

We saw a few mums crying as they left their sons and daughters and I felt so glad that Sophie's staying at home and hopefully getting the best of both worlds. My daughter seemed a lot more relaxed and happy which was great. The whole experience is a huge change for her (and for me too, if I'm honest!).

From the university we drove down to Riverside, visited Boots and then had a quick drink in Costa Coffee before heading home. When Keith returned from his football match we went to the pub in the village for a quick drink and I treated myself to a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. I only had one but it was delicious and we spent a very enjoyable hour chatting about how Sophie got on at uni today. Our daughter is growing up!

No comments: