Monday 21 September 2015

Disappointment

Sophie was off to a barbecue at university today but the weather has been terrible which put a bit of a dampener on things.

She was very worried about going and not knowing anyone at all, but I reassured her that there would be helpers from the uni there to make sure everyone felt welcome. We dropped her off at almost 1pm and the weather, if possible, became worse on the drive there.

I felt so sorry for her as she walked away on her own but there was nothing I could do except keep my phone handy in case she wanted to be collected early. Keith and I had barely made it to the end of the road before she was on the phone and asking to be picked up.

When we got to her she said it had been terrible as there were loads of people crammed into a room because of the weather and that everyone was already in groups. There hadn't been anyone dressed as a helper so she had panicked and turned around.

I must admit I would have found it extremely difficult to approach a group of people on my own so I could sympathise. I felt so disappointed that she'd had a bad experience but said that for the rest of the week she would be in more structured sessions so it would be easier.

Keith and I abandoned our plans to go to Jones's so we called into Morisson's to get some garlic bread for the evening (and a bottle of wine for Sophie and I to enjoy later) and then we decided to pop into the Princess Alexandra for a quick drink as a treat. However, the pub was closed, as was The Artizan and there were no parking spaces at all near The Lamplighter so we decided to head for home and stop and get some chips on the way for lunch. Naughty!

The rain continued to pour all afternoon but it did brighten up a little in the evening, thank goodness. Not the best of days today and I just hope Sophie's first week at uni improves!

No comments: