Friday 18 July 2014

Nature's entertainment.

We were awoken at 3am this morning by a huge clap of thunder and stupendous flashes of lightening that lit up the whole sky. Keith and I stood and watched the incredible display from our bedroom window and listened to the hammering rain beat down on the roof of the conservatory. It was fantastic!

I had a fair bit of trouble getting back off to sleep and when we awoke again, everything was humid, damp and muggy. I drove Mikey to school and took Sophie in with me as she's working for us today, to cover Reception while Polly has the day off. Before we opened we had another thunderstorm and at one point it was right above us as we had a flash of lightening followed immediately by one of the loudest thunder claps I've ever had.

Keith came into work and together we went to Booker to meet Sarah who wanted to buy some bits for the party she's hosting for Liam next week. She went off to get her shopping while Keith and I did ours for work. It had become sunny and very warm again and I dreaded to think what it would be like at work!

And it was hot! We'd decided today to take some scrap metal we have lying about to a recycling plant in Northampton and picking today to do it was a bit of a mistake! Keith, Dad and I loaded some of it into the back of Dad's car and we set off, very gingerly I may add, to the scrap metal merchant. I had to drive onto a weighbridge and then go and register with the office but I'd forgotten to take my driving licence out of my bag so I had to scuttle back down to the car again to get it. I dread to think what the men in the van behind me, who were waiting to get onto the bridge thought!

Once I'd registered and proved who I was, I drove off the weighbridge and Dad and I donned hard hats and high viz jackets to offload all the metal. While I'd been waiting to see the man in the office (who said I smelt lovely by the way!) I'd been watching a huge monster of a machine picking up the scrap metal and hurling the bits onto a gigantic pile. It had a large claw and it really was like watching a horror movie in progress!

Dad and I offloaded all our metal and then I drove back onto the weighbridge and went up to get a cheque. I don't think all our money worries will be solved, though, as I received the paltry sum of £16! Back at work I downed a whole bottle of water and treated myself to some well-earned lunch!

Sophie and I felt it was a bit too hot to go to the gym tonight so we headed home and I had a cool shower and lay on the bed reading, which was bliss. I took Keith to the pub at 6pm and after picking him up and having dinner we spent the evening in the cool garden which was still damp from the overnight rain. Just before 10pm we saw the bats flying about so they're still living (nesting? roosting?) near by!

No comments: