Wednesday 23 July 2014

Kids!

So, the last day of term arrived and we were busy with parties at work. Mum and Dad swapped their day off and came in with me today as Polly was planning on being late in this morning.

It's been another beautiful, very hot day today and in the afternoon we left work to pop to the Post Office to get our identity documents checked. However, our local branch was unable to provide the service so we had to drive into town and visit the larger office there. Luckily the building was air conditioned so we didn't mind the wait as the post office lady checked all our documents! Driving back the temperature outside went up to 31.5c very briefly and sitting in the heavy traffic wasn't much fun!

Keith had called me as we were walking through town to say that Mikey was out with some friends and would make his way to work when he was ready to go home. He'd been in trouble today as I'd received a call from school to say he'd been involved in an incident where a window was broken...

When we got back to work there was no sign of him so we shut up the office and I drove back through the area around the school to see if we could see him. Keith had taken my car today so I was hitching a lift home with Mum and Dad. We gave up looking for him and I resigned myself to driving all the way back to work later in the afternoon to fetch him!

As predicted, just as I drew up outside my house, the phone rang and it was Mikey asking to be picked up! I said goodbye to Mum and Dad and Keith and I drove back the way I'd just come to go and get him!

Keith had suggested we go to the pub for a drink and I wasn't going to argue! When we arrived home again we both had a quick shower and walked up to the White Horse. Our seat in the window was free so we had a very pleasant and relaxing hour with our drinks and having a chat about the events of the day. Mikey had said he hadn't broken the glass in the window, just the hinge, so it didn't seem as serious as I first thought, plus he said it was an accident and one of the teachers was there to verify it. We just didn't want a huge bill landing on our doorstep!

When we got back home after our drink we found an answerphone message from Sophie that sounded a bit panicky. Imagining the worst I managed to get hold of her and she said that her new debit card wouldn't let her draw any money out of an ATM...

After lots of garbled messages we told her that we would try and sort out the problem first thing in the morning and then she wrote on Facebook that she would Skype with me at 10pm...now was that 10pm her time, or ours?

Eventually, at around 10.30pm, just as I'd given up and gone to bed, we were able to speak on Skype. She hadn't helped her situation by splurging a lot of cash on Mac make-up but we promised we'd do our best to help in the morning when we got to work...Kids!

No comments: