Tuesday 25 February 2014

Difficult conversations

It was back to work for me today although to be honest, I felt more like staying at home and trying to shake off this heavy cold we are all now afflicted with.

Yesterday we discovered a problem with a double booking of one of our exclusive hire parties for next month. We'd managed, somehow, to double book the same date so it was left to me to call the woman who'd made the second booking to tell her she could no longer have her party on that date. As these parties are so popular there wasn't another Saturday night free for a month, so I was steeling myself to be having a very difficult conversation with her. We'd already decided to offer another date free of charge and when I eventually spoke to her she was more than happy to accept, which was a huge relief! We refunded the deposit she'd paid and sent her a load of invites to make it easier for her to contact all the people that had been invited. Phew!

The other difficult conversation was with a member of staff that we had to let go, as things just weren't working out. I asked her to come in and see us as I felt it was better to see her face to face and explain rather than send a letter to her. Predictably she started crying which made Dad and I feel awful, but there was no going back. She even admitted herself that she wasn't enjoying her job.

I was looking forward very much, therefore, to going out in the evening to The Lamplighter pub as Mikey was having his Army Cadet meeting in town. However, as he'd had today off school with this pesky cold, he said there was no way he could go as he felt so poorly...This meant that Keith and I had to then drive to Brixworth to buy something for dinner for the three of us (I'd already bought Mikey a chicken dish), not really the evening I was hoping for!

No comments: