Wednesday 19 June 2013

Ye olde ale...

Today I was back at work and feeling a wee bit better!

The weather today has been very sultry and I kept hoping for a good thunderstorm to clear the air. Apparently, today is supposed to be the hottest of the summer so far although the temperature in my car registered at 24 degrees, which I don't think is excessive!

To combat the heat, Keith and I went to The Olde England pub in the evening to sample the beers in the cellar. The downstairs bar wasn't open when we first went in so we ordered our drinks from the hatch and sat upstairs. I wasn't keen on the half pint I was drinking (called Deception) so Keith finished it off for me - it was too bitter a bitter for me, if you know what I mean!

The cellar bar eventually opened at around 6.45pm and it was a lot cooler downstairs! There were about 6 ciders on offer and another 6 beers, all on handpump. I chose Hedonism (very good) while Keith went for the strongest - IPA Imperial - at 5.7%. I had drunk just half of my half pint when Keith ordered me another half of Tea Kettle stout which was easily my favourite of the night.

We enjoyed our couple of hours escape from the children and The Olde England certainly is a pub full of character (rather like the landlord!) with three different areas of seating and a very rustic air for an inn that is in the town!


No comments: