Thursday 13 June 2013

An eventful night!

My second job as a taxi driver continued today when I picked up Sophie and Abi from school, took them back to work (where they stuffed their faces) and then left a little early so they could go home and get ready for their Lewis Watson gig at Leicester University.

I had foolishly said I would take them to the gig and then Keith, Mikey and I would find a pub for a couple of hours, but they told me they had to be at the venue really early to get a spot right at the front...Looking at the map I realised that it would only take about 45 minutes to get to the University so I said that rather than spend over 5 hours in a pub, I would be taxi driver and come home after I dropped them off, but only on one condition...that Keith cooked a nice meal as this week has been a bit hectic and our meals have been a bit hit and miss!

We took Gladys with us and my word, did she take us on a weird route! We ended up driving along tiny country lanes and eventually reached the A6 - I knew a much better route, to be honest, and I'm sure our SatNav has a fetish for narrow country lanes! Gladys is getting a bit temperamental lately, to be honest, as she started freaking out and shrieking "Recalculating, recalculating!" at me for no apparent reason. She got us to the University and then we spent almost as much time trying to find the venue as it was tucked away on the campus and we didn't have a clue how to find it!

Eventually, after much driving about, I dropped the girls off at a place very close (we resorted to asking a very polite student) and then I headed home. On the way I filled up with diesel (again) and bought myself a bottle of tonic water as I was definitely going to have a vodka and tonic after my somewhat stressful journey!

Keith cooked a delicious beef casserole, we watched TV until 10pm and then left for the return journey. Keith drove this time (I'd had a couple of VATs) and we were back at the University by 10.45pm. I called my daughter to tell her we were waiting and she handed her phone to Lewis Watson himself! I was a bit shocked but we had a lovely conversation (he has a gorgeous voice) and then the excitable two appeared full of the gig and what a great time they'd had. They were also full of praise for Leicester Uni which is fine with me seeing as it's so close!

The journey home was uneventful except for an emergency stop for a McDonald's as the girls were famished!

Lewis Watson

No comments: