Sunday 23 June 2013

No power, no water!

I awoke this morning to a power cut and our burglar alarm going off (and being very loud!). It was 9.30am which amazed me as I haven't slept so late for ages. My lack of sleep last week must be to blame!

We had no power at all and Mum and Dad called to see if we were having a power cut as they had no electricity either. They also said they had no water but ours seemed fine, if a little slow.

I was desperate for a coffee, so we drove to the garage to get the newspapers and I filled up with diesel before making myself a latte with their Costa Coffee machine. When we arrived home the power was back on but the water was getting slower and slower. Before long we had none at all!

We'd planned to go to Milton Keynes as Sophie has a Prom night on Thursday and although not as important as last year's affair, she still wanted to get a dress and hadn't, as yet, had any success. She said there was no way she could go without having a shower or washing her hair and we were on the point of cancelling when I suggested we call in at the gym on the way and use their facilities. Mum, who was coming with us, said she would wait in the cafe so we packed our bags full of our toiletries and off we went!

We both had a lovely hot shower and washed our hair and then did our make-up. I even cleaned my teeth there but we felt much better afterwards and ready for some serious shopping!

After lunch at Caffe Italia we hit the shops and Sophie became grumpier and grumpier as she tried on loads of dresses. I found a lovely swimsuit in M&S and she called me to say that she'd tried on a beautiful dress in River Island so there was relief all round! I treated her to a pair of ear-rings and then we thankfully headed home where I poured myself a glass of my silky smooth French red and finally relaxed...and said a silent prayer that our water supply was restored!

No comments: