Saturday 30 March 2013

Ahhhh! Relaxation!

After a fabulous night's sleep (we awoke at 5am again but went back to sleep until 8am) we had a quick breakfast and then Keith and I went for a walk around Highlands Reserve. We found the communal swimming pool and the tennis courts and then had a mooch around the golf course and sat and watched a foursome teeing off. Most people use the zippy little golf buggies which I think is very lazy! I thought that golf was supposed to be a good walk spoilt?

It was a beautiful day, warm and breezy and it was wonderful sitting on a bench and just soaking up the sunshine. There were numerous squirrels running about who seemed very tame and we've seen a couple of lizards on the netting over the pool. Behind our house is a small lake but I sincerely hope there are no alligators in there!

After our walk we popped to Publix just down the road and bought some more goodies. I picked out two Birthday cards for Sophie (some of the "daughter" cards brought a tear to my eye!) and looked at the gorgeous ice-cream Birthday cakes that I know she will love (she was back at the villa). I found a magnum bottle of Redwood Creek Cabernet Sauvignon so that went into the trolley as well!

The afternoon was spent relaxing by the pool and I am now the only one who has not swum in its chilly depths. It really is icy cold so I have the greatest admiration for my family who have fully immersed themselves!

The sun was lovely and hot in the afternoon and our tans are coming along nicely. Both Keith and I fell asleep on the sun loungers which was bliss!

In the evening we had a drink at an "Irish bar" on the same complex as the Publix supermarket. We chose the bar because it had an outdoor terrace and we love being able to sit and have a drink outside while on holiday. The bar was about as Irish as me though, with American music playing, American staff and mostly American beer, although they did serve Guinness!

Our restaurant choice was Chili's which was just a short distance along Route 27 and was Mikey's favourite. Although there were loads of free tables we had a 15 minute wait and I did wonder whether we would ever walk into a restaurant on this holiday and be seated immediately. Keith ordered a beer at the bar and was given two which surprised him! It would have been good if I'd been having a drink because we could have shared but I stuck to strawberry lemonade!

We had a great meal, but things weren't as smooth as they had been in the past. Our nachos with chicken arrived very swiftly and were demolished within minutes but we had a long wait for our main courses and my parmesan crusted sirloin turned out to be just a regular steak. However, it was very, very good - succulent and tasty and Keith said that his Ribeye was delicious too. Sophie wasn't able to eat her buffalo chicken wings so she asked for a doggy bag but Mikey demolished his pizza!

Again, we had no room for dessert (plus we had some lovely ice-cream back at the villa) so we drove home and sat out on the terrace with a glass of the Rex Goliath Cabernet Sauvignon. It was very quiet, apart from the scuttling of a little cockroach!

No comments: