Wednesday 13 October 2010

Tuesday 12 October and some more research...

I forgot to say that the birth certificate I'd ordered came in the post on Monday and on first sight looked to be the wrong one. Ellen's father was called John but on the certificate it said William. I was really disappointed and put it to one side but last night I spent more time looking at the birth records and I have a theory...it could be that Ellen was taken in by John and Eliza as they didn't have any other children in an age when most couples were having large families. Perhaps William was a brother or cousin as he was also born in Ireland? It could be that John and Eliza took Ellen in because William and his wife were unable to look after her? This is why it's so frustrating! I'd love to know the answers but it's very unlikely someone will be able to tell me the truth. John and Eliza never had any more children and on the 1911 census Eliza states that she had one child who died...Arrrghh!

I've been in contact with my Aunt to see if she knows any more and she's given me a phone number of her cousin who may have more information so it's great that I'm getting in touch with my living relatives in the search for more history.

Yesterday Keith and I went on the hunt for French berets as we're going to a Murder Mystery Evening on Friday and it has an "Allo Allo" theme. Keith is supposed to be a sausage seller and has to have bicycle clips tied around his trousers and has to carry a large sausage! Hmmmm! I'm going as a Resistance woman with a trench coat and beret...It's a good job the party is next door as I'd hate to think we had to travel any distance and, God forbid, the car broke down...!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol, I can just picture the pair of you, very funny, I think we need a photo!
SWS

Janie said...

Haha!! I'm looking forward to buying the sausage! ;)