Sunday 31 October 2010

Saturday 30 October

Saturday was a gorgeous day with lots of sunshine but we didn't go out and make the most of it as Keith and I were busy giving the house a good clean ready for our trip to Berlin. Mum and Dad are coming to stay so the house needs to be spotless otherwise they'll think I'm a slut...! I'm sure they won't really but at least I can go away and not worry that the place is a tip! We made a start with the bathrooms and the kitchen and I sorted out the cupboards, horrified at the tins and packets lurking at the back which were way out of date!

After dinner (Sophie's favourite fajitas...) Keith and I had an evening of history lessons. First up was a programme on Channel 4 about the Second World War which was very interesting. My knowledge of recent history is woefully bad as I didn't study the subject at school because I hated the History teacher who was a real nut. It's such a shame as I'd loved to have studied it, as Sophie is doing now, and it's shocking to think that a teacher could have that much influence on my future, but there you go.

After the programme on the Second World War we tuned into The Pillars of the Earth, a very enjoyable drama set in the 12th century, another age I find fascinating, mainly because of the standard of living which must have been filthy to say the least! After this we turned over to More4 and watched a very harrowing and disturbing programme about a film the Nazis made in the Warsaw Ghetto in 1942. We stuck it out until about 11.30pm when Keith confessed he was finding it very boring. Yes, there wasn't a lot happening, but the scenes were shocking and left me feeling very uncomfortable. I have to admit though that it wasn't the ideal type of Saturday night viewing!

The best thing about the evening was putting the clocks back though and gaining a whole hour of extra time! Yipppeee!!!

No comments: