Wednesday 28 August 2024

The joy of music

One of the things I look forward to the most when we travel by car on holiday is listening to music. Years ago, when I drove abroad with my parents, we listened to Roxy Music's Flesh and Blood Album, and Boz Scaggs' Middle Man. The tracks on those albums can immediately transport me back to France in the 1980s!

Sophie has Spotify, so she can pick virtually any track she wants to play and we make the most of her subscription. We play the songs in the kitchen when we're relaxing with a drink and sometimes on normal car journeys if we're driving a fair distance.

When we drove to Spain in 2022, we made our "Summer Spanish playlist" and we add to it whenever we feel a song suits. For posterity's sake, I have listed most of the tracks here, and I'll admit that 90% of the bands/singers I had never heard of before, and apart from the obvious ones, they're definitely not songs you'd hear on Radio 2 (or even Radio 1!). Sophie usually hears about them on TikTok and they all fill me with joy and bring back happy memories!

Here are my favourites:

  • Tame Impala - Breathe Deeper (my absolute favourite; it was playing when we approached the Pyrenees in 2022 and I swear I had a spiritual experience!)
  • Bad Bad Not Good - Time Moves Slow
  • Harry Styles - Watermelon Sugar (we love a bit of Harry!)
  • Big Words - TTYDTM
  • Harry Styles - Golden
  • Rosewood Swing - Lately
  • Ace - How Long
  • Sault - Masterpiece
  • Dre'es - Warm
  • The Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
  • Her's - What Once Was
  • John Mayer - Carry Me Away
  • John Mayer - Slow Dancing In A Burning Room
  • Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Falling Thunder
  • Erykah Badu - Didn't Cha Know
  • Sonder - Too Fast
  • Steve Lacey - N Side (just sublime)
  • Litany - Bedroom
  • Essence (Feat. Tems) - Wizkid
  • Kali Uchis - I Wish You Roses
  • Grimes - Oblivion
  • Movement - Like Lust
  • Turnover - Dizzy on the Comedown
  • Mac Ayres - Sunny & 62
  • Bad Bunny - Efecto (Keith calls him Horrible Hare)
  • Harry Styles - Lights Up
  • John Mayer - Love On The Weekend
  • Harry Styles - Adore You
  • Steve Lacey - Bad Habit
  • Giveon - Garden Kisses
  • Harry Styles - Cherry
  • Talking Heads - This Must  Be The Place (Naive Melody)
  • Steve Lacey - C U Girl
  • Grimes - Genesis
  • Mac de Marco - Chamber of Reflection
  • LeRoyce - Fallback
  • Mac de Marco - For The First Time
  • Mac de Marco - One More Love Song (in the top 5 of favourites)
  • Mac de Marco - On The Level
  • Swim  Deep - Orange County
  • Swim Deep - Honey
  • Swim Deep - She Changes The Weather (brings back memories of driving home with Sophie from the gym years ago!)
  • Kali Uchis - Moonlight
  • Astral Projection - Yumi Zouma
  • SZA - Sweet November (sweet memories of driving to Pals Beach and lunch..."Remember me for who I was, not who I am...)
  • The Stone Roses - Fools Gold
  • Bakar - Hell N Back
  • John Mayer - Heartbreak Warfare
  • Surf Bagel - Good Days
  • Men I Trust - Show Me How
  • Santana - Europa
  • Lana del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club
  • Santana - Dance Sister Dance
  • SZA - Saturn
  • Tame Impala - Borderline
  • Santana - Black Magic Woman
  • Soul II Soul - Keep On Moving... of course!

This list may be updated! All of the above can be found on YouTube. Enjoy!


No comments: