Friday 16 August 2024

An early start!

I woke up at 1.30am this morning and decided to check the route to Stansted Airport. To my dismay, long sections of both the A14 and M1 were closed and it gave me an estimated time of one hour, forty minutes. Luckily, Mike and Abbie were also up, so we woke Keith and decided to leave earlier than planned. I couldn't believe that such large sections of major roads were closed!

We set off at just past 2am and after Thrapston, on the A14, we were taken off the road and had to follow diversions. Ahead of us, I could see a long line of lorries, so we followed Googly's recommendations and turned off onto a narrow B road. Annoyingly, Googly was silent, and we missed a turning, so I had to stop and reverse into a driveway and go back!

As we approached the turn, two more cars appeared, and Abbie brought up her Apple maps, which she said was better than Google. I had to agree with her! It also lets you know about speed cameras! After a section of winding country roads following the other two cars, we joined the A1 South and the A14. 

Once onto the M11, we made good time and arrived at Stansted at about 3.45am, so well before we needed to be there. We headed to the Express Set Down, which was packed with people and cars. We said goodbye to Abbie and Mike and queued to get back out. It was chaos! We were supposed to have paid £7 for the fifteen-minute stay but the barriers were just letting people through without paying.

I wanted to stop at the services on the M11 to consult Googly, and she told us to go back the way we'd come, so we set off into the darkness. For some reason - probably because I didn't realise how early we needed to be at the airport - I had imagined Keith and I stopping on the way home for breakfast! I had envisioned us sitting in a sunlit café drinking coffee and eating eggs and bacon, but it was way too early for sunrise!

The journey home was smooth and straightforward and we were pulling up outside our house just after 5am. Keith went straight back to bed while I made myself a coffee and sat in the kitchen relishing the peace and quiet. The cats were desperate to go outside so I gave in and let them out. It was so peaceful as the sun rose, and the birds started to sing!

Sophie didn't go to the gym this morning as she'd had a disturbed night with all the comings and goings and I waved her off to work at 8am. I didn't intend to do much today but I did manage to hoover downstairs and do some cleaning. I also napped a fair bit! 

At lunchtime, we drove down to Brackmills and met Sophie for lunch at Café 900. I chose a jacket potato with tuna and we sat and chatted happily for an hour. It's been a gorgeous day today, with plenty of sunshine and blue skies and it was great not to be at work. I certainly made the right decision to take today as a holiday as I would have been shattered!

After lunch, Keith and I returned home and pootled about for the rest of the afternoon. I napped for an hour again and woke up feeling a bit more refreshed! Sophie arrived home half an hour earlier than usual, ready to start Wine Night with a vengeance!

Tonight, we watched another riveting documentary about a pregnant woman who had gone missing at Christmas in 2002. It was set near San Francisco and was very interesting. We sipped a Rosé wine and ate delicious crisps spread with soft cheese. Yum!

Bring on the weekend!

No comments: