Thursday 29 August 2024

An unexpected day off...

Last night, Keith persuaded me to take him to the GP surgery in Guilsborough today, where he had an appointment to see a physiotherapist about his leg. I was happy to let Sara know I wouldn't be in (Thursdays are classed as overtime so if I don't work, I don't get paid), and we set off for the rural practice at about 9am.

It was a beautiful day, and the countryside was stunning, even though it's now almost Autumn and the vibrant summer colours are beginning to fade. I sat in the waiting room while Keith was seen, and he came out with sheets of exercises he had to complete.

We went straight over to Kettering to do our shopping but popped into Costa first for a coffee. Keith hobbled about again, leaning on the trolley for support and we were soon heading home. I went back out again to see my Mum and Dad, so I could be home at about 2.30pm when I usually finish on a Thursday.

Yesterday, the care home called to ask if I could arrange for my Mum to have her ears syringed as she had a build-up of wax. Apparently, GP surgeries no longer perform this procedure, so I had to Google clinics in the area that do. Specsavers in Northampton do it, or BUPA in Milton Keynes, but eventually I booked her an appointment at the Ear Clinic in Northampton for next week. They charge £55! I'd already bought some ear drops in Tesco, so I gave those to her with the strict instructions to put some in her ears every day to soften the wax. I'm hoping that having her ears sorted out will help her to hear me better when I phone! My Mum always used to complain about my Nan being deaf and now the same thing is happening to her!

Back home, I pootled about and did the usual chores before Sophie came home. We cooked gammon steaks for dinner this evening and I served them with roast potatoes and peas. A proper pub meal!

After dinner, Sophie and I watched Celebrity Race Across the World, and it made me realise how easy it is for me to keep in touch with Mike in Thailand. I can see him on Find My iPhone and he can message me on WhatsApp for free (as long as he logs onto the wifi wherever he is). When I went to Nepal in 1987, I called my parents once to let them know I was there safely, and once more to ask them to send £60 so I could take part in another trip! That was it!

No comments: