Sunday 28 July 2024

I get into big trouble...

Sophie was going to London with Laura today and we dropped her at the station at 9am. Keith and I returned home to have breakfast (fried eggs on cheesy bread) and pootle about. It was warm and sunny with temperatures expected to rise to 27c. A heatwave was upon us!

Gomez stayed in Sophie's room all day, tucked up behind her curtains, but in the afternoon Mooney kept crying and yowling to go out. I felt awful for him as it wasn't his fault that he was being kept in, so I sneakily let him out to enjoy the sunshine! Gomez was none the wiser as he was upstairs asleep!

I put a colour on my hair in the afternoon and relaxed on our bed with the fan full on me! I kept thinking I should be sorting Gomez out with his cream and the collar but I really didn't want to disturb him as he seemed so content...

Back downstairs, Mooney had returned but wanted to go out again, and this time he wouldn't let up with the yowling. In the end, I gave in to him and he went back outside. I asked Keith to keep the double conservatory doors closed and went over to Kettering to see my parents.

I stayed an hour and we looked at the holiday book and a couple of photograph albums with my Mum. My Dad was asleep for the whole time I was there!

Getting back into the car to go home was lovely as I could turn on the air conditioning! It was wonderful to be blasted by cool air! At home, Mooney was still out and Gomez was still upstairs. I was beginning to wonder if the medicine he was having made him drowsy? Or was he just totally fed up?

I texted Sophie to ask when she was coming home as I'd seen a post on Facebook about a problem at Northampton train station. The surrounding roads had been closed and it was reported that "a member of the public had put themselves into a position of danger." She said they were having one last drink and would get the train home at 6pm. I  could already see disruption for Northampton trains on my Trainline app, and I was wondering how I was going to pick the girls up if all the roads were closed!

At 6pm, Sophie texted me to say their train had been cancelled so I said they'd need to get one to Milton Keynes and we'd pick them up. She texted back minutes later to say the train would get into Milton Keynes at 6.30pm...

We then had panic stations as I knew I couldn't get to MK in half an hour! I managed to close the front windows and the conservatory doors, but we forgot to close the kitchen window, the one above the worktop...

We rushed off and made it to the station by 6.35pm. Sophie and Laura were walking out and collapsed into the cool car with relief! We had a great journey back, dropped Laura off at her Mum's house and decided to pick up a KFC meal for dinner - our planned steak barbecue and Dauphinoise potatoes had to be postponed!

At KFC, we picked a boneless meal bucket and went back to the car. As we left the restaurant, I held the door open for a woman who burped and didn't even look at me or thank me for holding the door... Wonderful! It just about sums up some people at the moment!

When we arrived home, Mooney still wasn't back and there was no sign of Gomez. I rushed upstairs and he had gone from behind the curtains. We searched everywhere, and in all the usual hiding places but there was no Gomey. He had obviously managed to escape through the open window in the kitchen...

Sophie was already in a bad mood with me because I'd confessed to not putting cream on him or making him wear the collar, and had accused her of being tipsy, but now her anger reached new heights as she discovered he had absconded. I don't think she could even bring herself to talk to me so we ate our fast food dinner in silence. The food was horrible and none of us enjoyed it. We thought things couldn't get worse, but they had.

I was amazed at the tenacity of the cats to get out of the house. There's a scene in Jurassic Park where the main characters go to the enclosure which houses the Tyrannosaurus Rex (a female) and the keeper says that she had been systematically testing all the weak points of the enclosure to find a way to escape. We had T-Rex cats!

So, our Sunday evening was subdued and although Sophie eventually came around and spoke to me to tell me about her day, I kept hoping upon hope that Gomez would return. He didn't but, of course, Mooney did!


A dinosaur in cat's clothing


No comments: