Wednesday 1 February 2023

Mum takes a tumble...

Keith and I went out for breakfast this morning, as we needed, after a long absence, to go to the Weston Favell centre. Our first job was to go to the bank, but it wasn't open until 10am, so we went to Jenny's to have something to eat. It's really the only place you can get breakfast at the centre and we had the usual suspects, plus tea, coffee, and toast.

We went to the bank, deposited some money into our joint account for the first time in over a decade and then popped into Tesco. Sophie had asked me to get Mike a birthday present and I wanted to get him some US sweets and drinks, which I knew were available on the supermarket's back wall. I also wanted to look in the World Foods aisle because tomorrow I'm cooking Jerk Chicken pasta - his favourite dish - and although Keith had been here yesterday and had bought a jar of the Jerk seasoning, I wanted to make sure it was the right one.

I used to love hanging out in the World Foods aisle and looking at all the different food on offer, but it was now much reduced and I could only see a handful of Caribbean foods. There were no other jars of paste available so we meandered down to where the US foods were kept, but they had gone. Nothing stays the same! We asked a couple of staff if they had been relocated elsewhere but they weren't any help at all.

Fed up, we took our purchases through the checkout and went downstairs to a sweet shop, but the prices were horrendous so I told Sophie that Keith would buy Mike a bottle of Jack Daniels in Tesco tomorrow, instead.

Next, it was time for my car to be washed as it was completely filthy. The carwash at Morrisons was closed so we drove to the BP garage on the Harborough road and put it through there. At least the next few days are set to be dry so it won't get dirty again!

Back home I pootled about and did some jobs and at 3pm I went over to the care home to sit with Mum and Dad while their carer wrote their care plan. While we were waiting, Dad popped to the loo, but on the way back to his chair he lost his footing and fell back, sending Mum flying across the room, and she hit her head on the skirting board. The noise of her head hitting the wood was horrible and I expected to see blood and a deep gash, but after sitting up and having her blood pressure taken, and her oxygen levels read, she was able to get up and sit with me on the sofa. I was shocked at how easily it happened and just glad that the carer had walked back into the room to see Mum falling.

It just brings it home to me that they do need the level of care they're receiving, and the carer said to Dad that he had to press the buzzer to get help, rather than rely on Mum.  We went through the care plan and had to sign a couple of forms, which was very reassuring. I am more than happy with the care they receive and they seem popular with the staff, which is great.

Mum seemed OK and hadn't sustained a bump on her head, which is what I was expecting, but she would be monitored throughout the rest of the day and night to make sure she wasn't feeling queasy or had a headache.

Sophie made dinner tonight for the fourth night in a row - a delicious chicken casserole with dumplings. It's my turn tomorrow but I'm sure she will help out!

No comments: