Sunday 26 February 2023

A date with Luther.

Sophie returned home this morning having had a great couple of days away in the Oxfordshire countryside. I had been pottering about and catching up with housework and other jobs in my scruffs, so I declined the offer to meet Vikesh! I would much prefer to meet him when I wasn't looking like a bag lady!

At about 1pm Sophie and I drove into town to have lunch at Akasaka before our date with Idris Elba. The car park was busy but we managed to squeeze into a space, and very soon we were sitting in a pleasantly buzzing restaurant perusing the menu.

We decided to share starters - chicken gyoza, tempura prawns and edamame beans. All three dishes were lovely. For the main courses, I chose the chicken katsu curry (as I always do) while Sophie went for the chicken yakisoba, a lovely noodle dish with lots of vegetables. We ordered a large bottle of sparkling water and a tiny bottle of Sake.

It was great to see the restaurant busy with lunchtime diners, and it was lovely to sit and catch up with my daughter after her weekend away. The film was due to start at 3.15pm so we left with plenty of time and walked the short distance to the cinema. 

Armed with a glass of wine and ice cream we took our seats and settled back to watch Luther: The Fallen Sun! There were more people in the cinema than I'd thought there would be and we had the usual rustlers sitting behind us! Our ice creams were long finished but the couple in the seats behind us managed to make their noisy sweets last the whole two hours!

We enjoyed the film, but both of us thought it was a little far-fetched. I won't spoil the story for anyone who wants to see it when it comes out on Netflix on the 10th of March (or in the cinema) but we missed the gritty scenes of East London, and we noticed several irregularities in the film that jarred. We also missed Alice, even though we knew she had died in the last episode of series 5. There were several, very disturbing scenes and I think the writer must have a warped mind!

We emerged at about 5.30pm and drove home in the light, thank goodness! Watching something like Luther does make you a bit jumpy! Neither of us fancied playing Scrabble so we sat and relaxed with a glass of wine. Sophie finished off the takeaway from last night and we all enjoyed a bowl of the bread and butter pudding that Keith made on Friday with a good dollop of custard. We watched a couple of episodes of The World's Most Dangerous Roads, and I have to say it had been a very enjoyable day!

No comments: