Thursday 28 July 2022

Frying tonight...

I was back in at work this morning and grappling with the box office returns. Our area manager wanted me to deduct any "no shows" which meant a lot of extra work for me, as we need to report how many members attend, so it was a fiddly task. Consequently, a half-hour job took me double the time, which I think annoyed Sara, as she wanted me to work on some of the customer service emails.

We were short-staffed today so I had to answer the phones but the shift passed very quickly. I sped home at 2pm, and had a quick catch-up with Keith, who had been shopping and had managed to get my Dad's car washed successfully! The only problem was that it had stopped working halfway through the wash and he had to sound his horn to get someone to help! I was just glad that the voucher I paid for yesterday was still valid!

I went to collect my Mum, and we drove to Tesco where we bought a few things in the supermarket. I bought a bottle of English sparkling wine to try this evening, as our sparklers are supposed to be very good, and I wanted to do a blind tasting to see what Sophie thought of it.

After the shopping, we headed home to have a cup of tea and some cake, and I showed Mum the photos I'd found of our holidays years ago. She was delighted to see them and we had a great reminisce about the old days!

Sophie and I tried the wine and she guessed pretty quickly that it was English! It was lovely and bubbly with a sweetish taste, but was it worth £15? (I paid £11 as I had a Tesco Clubcard). I think, in the future, we'll stick to Cava or Prosecco - or some Loire sparklers - instead!

Keith barbecued steaks this evening while I fried some real potato chips. I'd looked up a recipe and it recommended frying the potatoes at 130c for ten minutes, then heating up the oil and finishing them at 190c for about five minutes. We have a thermometer so we tried this method and they turned out really well - lovely, crisp and golden brown. The barbecued steak was tender and delicious as well. What a success!


No comments: