Friday 18 February 2022

Storm Eunice

Sophie was starting work later today, so she left the house at the same time as me to go to the gym and I followed her on my way to work. The weather was horrendous with driving rain and wind, and it was so dark at 7.30am! There were several large puddles of water on the country roads, so driving was particularly hazardous. I was very glad when I arrived at work and Sophie texted me to say she was at the gym! I did ask her to go very careful later on in the morning when she went to work, as the winds were predicted to be about 70mph!

We had an Amber weather warning out for wind here in Northamptonshire, but further south there was a rare Red warning and I think the southwest and London definitely were the hardest hit, with planes having difficulty landing, widespread destruction, and sadly three deaths. Eunice was certainly a deadly storm.

We had several phone calls from people cancelling swim sessions, as they were reluctant to go out in the weather, and a lot of calls asking whether we were still open! All of the country parks in the area were closed, which was understandable, but why people thought we were closed when everything is indoors, was mystifying!

There were only three of us in the office, so it was quite a pleasant shift once the initial madness subsided! Although it's been windy today, I don't think it was as bad as it could have been, and certainly nowhere near as bad as Halloween last year when Sophie and I were forced to turn back from going to Kent because of the wind. Then, we didn't even have a warning!

Sophie arrived home much earlier this evening, so I was very relieved! We have so many trees lining our roads around here and it's always a worry about them coming down! I took Keith to the pub and returned home to watch the end of Bridget Jones' Diary and sip a glass of wine with Sophie. Dinner this evening was very simple - chilli with baked potatoes. Hooray! It's Friday!




No comments: