Sunday 6 February 2022

Caught in the storm!

Thankfully, I wasn't up as late as yesterday and Sophie and I settled down to watch our recorded episode of Saturday Morning Kitchen after breakfast. The star on the show was Ralf Little from Death in Paradise and he was very similar to the character he plays in the crime drama, and came over as lovely! Phew!

The rest of the morning and early afternoon was spent mooching about, and Sophie did a lot of preparation for dinner this evening - a pork and chestnut risotto. I attempted to do some research on my family tree but just wound up going in frustrating circles as usual! There are several other people researching my ancestors as well, and they have added some dubious links which I find hard to believe! 

Sophie and I had some items on eBay which were ending today, and we'd done really well with selling most of it. We made sure everything was packaged up ready to send tomorrow and we made about £40 on clothes and a pair of boots that Sophie no longer wants! More savings in our Paypal account for treats!

The weather today has been a mixed bag of sunshine and showers with gusty winds, and at about 4pm I suggested we go for a short walk to the village, just to get out of the house as we haven't left it all weekend! We wrapped up warmly in coats, scarves and gloves and set out, just as a huge black cloud appeared! We pushed on nonetheless, but within minutes we had light rain falling, and then we heard several burglar alarms start going off on the estate, so I guessed we'd had a power cut. The rain didn't deter us and we crossed over the road to say hello to a flock of sheep who were huddled together under a hedge, poor things. There was no sign of any lambs, but I don't think it'll be long!



Just as we decided to carry on a bit further I could see the rain coming over the fields like a white mist and then suddenly we were being pelted with hail. We immediately turned back and almost ran towards home, getting more and more soaked by the second! Luckily, Keith had seen the weather and he met us at the entrance to the estate but we were wet through!

Back home he had lit candles and the power cut lasted almost an hour. Sophie went to have a hot shower while Keith and I played cards in the kitchen by candlelight. I do love a power cut! The electricity came back on, so I re-set all the clocks and then it went off again! Arggh!

Sophie cooked the meal entirely on her own tonight and it was delicious. The rice was lovely and creamy and there was enough left over for lunch tomorrow! Perfect!

No comments: