Thursday 24 February 2022

After the plague, war...

Sophie told me first thing this morning that Putin had invaded Ukraine, so that was a good start to the day... Just when we thought things were getting better with the pandemic, this comes along. I saw Sophie off to the gym and then watched the news for half an hour. I dread to think what this will mean for us all, and I feel so sorry for the people of Ukraine who must be terrified.

I have to confess to going back to bed for an hour, and I woke up to a text from my son, which was lovely. Last night Sophie had seen a social media post from Abbie about being back in Northampton, but there was no word from Mike that he was back as well. He texted me to say he wasn't able to get time off from work, which was a shame as it would have been great to see him.

Today was my last Thursday off for three months, and I wanted to make the most of it. I had suggested to Keith last night that we go out for a lunchtime mooch, but I changed my mind this morning and said I'd rather go shopping and then do some laundry while pootling about the house! There was snow forecast for this afternoon but the weather has remained sunny all day, albeit with the odd hail shower thrown in for good measure!

To mix things up a bit, Keith and I went to the Aldi at Overstone, rather than the one in Kettering. It was only a week old and everything looked shiny and new! It was very similar to the layout of the Kettering branch but the chill cabinets were behind doors, so much more streamlined. I doubt we will carry on doing our weekly shop here, but it's convenient for me on my way home from work to pick up anything we need!

Before doing the rest of our shopping at Tesco we had lunch at the Costa opposite Aldi in Kettering and enjoyed toasted sandwiches and coffee. Outside, it was bitterly cold with an icy wind that cut us in half! Brrr! Perhaps it was sent by Putin!

We listened to the radio in the car on the way home and we both felt very disturbed. Already, oil and gas prices have risen, and stock markets around the world have fallen. There's been fighting and reports of soldier and civilian deaths. It's horrible. I do sometimes feel like we're at the end of days... so many horrible things have happened in the last two years - widespread fires, volcanic eruptions, the pandemic, floods, storms, and now war.

Back home we put the shopping away and I washed my coat (I'd noticed black marks on the sleeve yesterday), my long cardigan, dressing gown and other laundry that needed doing. I do love an afternoon of getting clothes clean! 

Sophie came home early today as she was going out to the Northampton Filmhouse with Laura this evening. Keith had prepared his own version of pan haggerty (corned beef, potatoes and onion) and this was simmering away in the slow cooker. We had a very relaxed evening sitting at the kitchen island and then enjoyed dinner.

Sophie arrived home at about 11pm after having drinks and nibbles in John Franklin's and seeing the film Death on the Nile. Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday!

No comments: