Tuesday 13 July 2021

Unwelcome news...

Jo and I were working on our own again today, as Denise was on holiday. I received a shock when a customer called to book a swimming session next Wednesday, the first day of the school holidays. There was a long list of sessions for the day, but we had been led to believe that we would no longer be booking swimming sessions - it was the one thing we were all looking forward to.

Imagine our shock, then, when we were told that it was carrying on and that the number of people for each session had increased substantially... Jo and I were furious and made our feelings very clear to poor Sheila who bore the brunt of our extreme annoyance. It's not just the endless repetition of the bookings, it's the fact that many people choose to re-book or ask for a refund if they can't make it for whatever reason. Moving multiple people from booking to booking is time-consuming and tedious.

I, for one, have had enough of work at the moment. I'm expected to do the cinema work of poor Stella who passed away last February (without a pay increase, I hasten to add) as well as the admin for the huge number of orders and invoices we have to process, the crash courses, holiday activities, playscheme places and classes, along with answering the phone. Some of the calls we get can be complicated and lengthy, and a lot of the time, English is not the first language of the person calling, so it can be frustrating and stressful trying to work out what they want so we can help them.

And we still have some staff, who are more than capable of helping, still on furlough! Grrr!

After work, Jo and I had a chat and we both feel fed up. I know the others will feel the same way. We were hoping so much that people could just go along and swim without booking so it felt like a blow to the stomach.

At home, I waited for the doctor to call me, as I had phoned at 8am this morning and secured an appointment. She was brilliant and prescribed some steroid cream, which should clear up the rash. Let's hope so!


No comments: