Saturday 17 July 2021

A little entertaining!

Today has been hot and dry - not really the kind of weather I wanted when I had to clean downstairs and prepare dinner for guests this evening!

However, I did have a lot of help! Keith had to clean a couple of the conservatory roof panels again due to the birds pooping on them, and he watered the garden and trimmed the front verge so it looked neat. While I gave the conservatory (and its windows) a thorough clean, Sophie made a Key lime pie, prepared the starter of asparagus wrapped in Serrano ham, and chopped the vegetables for the main course of Chicken and Ham Tangle Pie.

It was very hot working in the conservatory but I didn't dare open the windows and doors wide in case we had an influx of flies! After cleaning the room I set the table and then cleaned the rest of the downstairs of the house. By about 2pm I had done all I could do, the Key Lime Pie was chilling in the fridge and everywhere looked clean and tidy!

Sophie and I were able to relax for a while and we laid on the bed with a fan full-on, and I draped cold flannels all over me in an effort to cool down. Mike and Abbie had gone to Pitsford for a picnic, but had sensibly bought sun cream as it was so sunny and warm!

After relaxing, I assembled the filling for the pie and decided to crinkle up the filo pastry at the last minute. I had a shower but as I was putting some make-up on, I had the beginnings of a migraine... I went downstairs, took some painkillers and drank a bottle of water while lying on the sofa. I tried not to panic as Sarah and Liam were due in half an hour! My left eye was having the zig-zag flashes of light that were characteristic of a migraine and were horrible, but thankfully, after resting for ten minutes, they disappeared. I think it was because I had hardly eaten all day, and hadn't drunk much water. Naughty!

Before changing into a dressy top, I covered the pie in filo pastry, stuck it back in the fridge and ran upstairs to get ready. I had to put my hair up as it was so hot, and there was no way I was leaving it down!

Sarah and Liam arrived bang on time and they went out into the garden to look at the trees. I think Liam thought he could lop the Silver Birch himself until he saw the height of it! We had a discussion about the kitchen and the trees, Mike made an appearance and chatted to them both, and then we enjoyed drinks and olives before I served the starter with Hollandaise sauce. It was delicious and so simple to do!

The rest of the meal was equally delicious, and went down very well with our friends. Sophie helped enormously by cooking the vegetables and washing up. I was very thankful when the main course had been served and we could relax and enjoy dessert, followed by cheese and biscuits. 

It was great to catch up with Sarah and Liam and we had a lovely evening. We've been friends now for about 20 years and it was lovely to sit and reminisce about old times! They went at about midnight, and after taking everything through to the kitchen, it was time for bed.

However, just as I was settling down to sleep, Sophie came rushing in and said that she'd been "pinged" - she'd been in contact with somebody with Covid and had to self-isolate for 5 days. Just what we needed to hear!


No comments: